Texas Approves Highest Speed Limit In Country At 85 MPH

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont see any more problems with crashes. As long as the lollygagers stay out of the fast lane.

Just like on the autobhan. Also the last 2 decades or more our cars are designed with suspensions ro hug the road and tires have made a big jump in highway qaulity.

When I go to my moms on 59 north. There are section of the highway that is 65 to 70 mph.

Every time on my 90 mile trip. I get at least 6 people in the fast lane doing 50 to 60. They wont pull over, to the right. They back traffic up. Many times the right lane is crowded with folks doing the same slow speed in the right.

I see people getting backed up for miles in the fast lane from the lollygagers. They finnaly find a point where they can pass on the right. But it is one of those squezze in pedal to the metal. Get back into the fast lane to do the 70mph speed limit.

I have seen some very dangerous passing that way. All because the 50mph car in the 70mph lane owns the road...:angry:

This is the new toll road between Austin and San Antonio. As a toll road, access is restricted to passenger vehicles and some small trucks....No 18-wheelers. This will relieve a lot of the nightmare traffic congestion on I-35 between Austin and San Antonio and will probably contribute to fewer accidents.

Many of the speed limits on the Texas Interstates have already been raised to 75 MPH and that does not seem to be causing any problems, or more accidents considering the traffic congestion. Also be aware that speed limits are typically 60-65 MPH in and around the larger population centers. It is not uncommon to see vehicles traveling comfortably at 80 MPH or more as long as the 18 wheelers don't pull into the fast lane....going 50 MPH :angry:

...Rich

Friend in Montana once told me, "on some highways during daylight hours, speed restriction has been lifted" In other words, No speed limit. Bob

Bob C,

We forgive you....:grin:

Actually, I thought Montana still had some roads with No Speed restrictions. The only problem with that law is that you could still get a speeding ticket if the officer thought you were driving too fast for conditions???.....Not a very clear definition as to what an Officer should deem as Too Fast for what conditions?

...Rich

@Rich, that is the reason the law was repealed, Montana Supreme Court struck it down as too vague, the wording was something like reasonable and proper and it was up to a cop to make the call if your speed was reasonable for the conditions.

@Bob, didn't intend for it to come across as jumping down your throat.

Rangers484,

I suspected that the law was too vague to last. :banghead:

In Germany, many parts of the Autobahn and some rural secondary roads have no speed restrictions, but the police are not put in the position to judge what is "Too Fast"...They leave that up to the driver, but oddly enough most people do not go much faster than about 75-80 MPH, and slower if there is rain, snow or ice.

US Speed limits are supposed to be based on the average speed of the 85% of drivers. Road surveys are supposed to be done by engineers and the surveys are not supposed to be biased by local politicans. Many speeding tickets can be beaten because of an outdated survey, improperly conducted survey, or a lack of a road survey, or the survey was not approved by an engineer.

In some cases, local officials illegally set their own speed limits artificially low that they know most people will exceed or not notice signs that reduce the speed limit for the purposes of enhansing their revenue....these are called Speed Traps....:angry:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a terrible speed trap near me in Metter, GA (you wouldn't know where it is, even if you drove through it). 4 lane divided highway with most all of it posted 70mph. The part that crosses through Metter is 45 mph and always has an officer. Pretty sure that speed trap fully funds their police department with travelers headed to Savannah or north to Atlanta.

Latest posts