Testing window motor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hudson 3

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to bench test the motor for a 2002 Sport Trac back window? I have replaced the regulator, meter tested the switch according Ford's diagnostics, and replaced the motor. Neither the original or the replacement motor reacts at all to either motor initialization procedure that I have found and tried. I have verified that the fuse is good and the harness is getting voltage to the appropriate harness pins.

I have not found anything detailing how to bench test the motor itself - the diagnostic sheet just says if everything else checks out replace the motor and initialize. I would like to verify whether the replacement motor is good or not, or if I have some other electrical issue before returning it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

John

check the link.. its the only thing I could find to check the motor..

more info can be found on T-shooting the rear window in this folder..

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/memberlib.asp?view=&folder=2001%20Manual

the initialization process needs to be done any time the power is removed form the motor or it will not work.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/faq.asp?VIEW=124&PageHeader=Frequently%20Asked%20Questions

Ok, I'm still stumped by this thing.

After repeatedly testing the wiring harness, checking the kick panel grounds and trying to initialize both motors, I took the truck to the local Ford dealership and paid them a flat diag fee to see if I was missing something on this rear window problem. They worked on it for about 4 hours - tested the switch harness, removed the front seat when they thought there might be a solder joint problem in a wire connection, tried both motors (original and replacement) and finally said I must have two bad motors because they couldn't find anything else. The second mechanic that looked at it did note that the switch light bulb was out and speculated that the switch might be bad.

I purchased a cheap used motor online that was tested and guaranteed working and put it in today. After initializing, the motor does indeed move the window to the fully closed position, but will not do anything else. I can remove the motor and manually lower the window and repeat the process with the same result. I pulled the switch from the dash and disassembled it to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it. It looks fine and the meter indicates that there is continuity to all the contacts.

Can anyone suggest anything else to look for or try to get this window to operate correctly?

Thanks,

John

the initialization process needs to be done any time the power is removed form the motor or it will not work.

you never said if you did this or not

Finally got the window working as it should. Today I installed the FOURTH motor with the dash switch that went with it from a Sport Trac that someone in my area is parting out. I don't know what made the difference - motor, switch or both - but it responded immediately to the second initialization procedure I tried and is working now as it should.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, schematics and initialization procedures.

John

Latest posts