Temperature Gauge - High

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim L

Reaction score
Driving home today on the interstate, 80C day by the way in WI/IL, noticed my idiot light, and my temperature was maxed out. I turned the heat on full and blasted the fan, windows open and alot of sweating and the temperature gauge dropped to about normal running condition.

Checked the coolant, 268F boiling point, level is OK, figured the thermostat is bad???, checked the projects, seems pretty straight forward.

Question to the group, Can I continue to do the full heat thing until next weekend when I can fix it up? Or should I bite the midnight oil and get it done ASAP.

Thanks

Tim

Engine temp is not something to mess around with as it has the potential to costs thousands of dollars in damage if left unchecked.

If you can start and run the truck at idle for an extended period of time without overheating then chances are the t-stat is not your problem. If it overheats only while driving and takes a long time to cool down then your radiator is probably clogged, unfortunately whent his happens flushing the radiator usually has little affect and the radiator will have to be replaced

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine will do this once in a while. I am looking for a Thermostat for it, but nobody stocks a motorcraft thermostat, so I have to order one.

It seems like it is a sticking stat, in my case. it only does in once in a while. No real pattern to it.

I will order a new stat tonight. I should have in in 24 to 36 hours from Rockauto.com.

Tom

Per I1tech, I started her up, she had sat for about 5 hours before hand, at idle, no heat/AC etc.. she did not overheat, I let her idle for about 20 minutes.

Does this hint at a blocked radiator?

Depending on how many miles you have you should replace the thermostat w/ upper and lower housing, and both sending units/ sensors. Its cheap and easy and bound to go bad if they aren't the cause of your problem. Head gaskets are not cheap.

203k miles , same radiator, etc.. except, I had the t-stat swapped about 2 years ago, didnt do it myself. Didnt realize there was a bunch of data being sent from the housing. Noticed on AAP website, that the housing looked different then my housing, BUT I have a Job 1 and I have had problems in the past with finding the correct part.

You can change to the new thermostat housing as long as you buy the upper, lower housings, both sensors, sensor clips, and thermostat. While your there switch out the bypass hose also. All these parts shouldn't cost more than 50. plus about 2 hours of labor.

the same thing happened to me last week didnt realize what it was until mr tire looked at it they said if i would have kept driving i woulda blown the motor, 600 bucks later its fixed, so dont wait please fix it fast.

by Tim L ,4/10/2011 17:54 MT

Per I1tech, I started her up, she had sat for about 5 hours before hand, at idle, no heat/AC etc.. she did not overheat, I let her idle for about 20 minutes.

Does this hint at a blocked radiator?

Like I said, if it will idle for a long time without overheating but overheat when you drive it chances are the rad is clogged. FWIW I would put a new t-stat in it anyways when I replaced the rad so you might as well go ahead and give it a try and see what happens

Thank you all for the quick responses, I am going to replace the radiator and the t-stat, that should hopefully solve my problems.

Tim

I am looking for a Thermostat for it, but nobody stocks a motorcraft thermostat

My experiance with motorcraft T-stats suck. When I need T-stat I will buy stainless or brass Stant or Robertshaw. No, no name off brands though.

For me the the design of stant and robertshaw. Have a larger disc opening. Less chance of blockage as per the 3 small inlet openings in the inclosed body of the motorcraft.

I found this especialy true with my peformance cars. When I ran them hard enough continuasly, with motorcraft. My temps recovered slower w/motorcraft than they did with the other brands.

Just my personal experiance. When the trac needs one. It wont be motorcraft.

The 5.0L mustang in my library. With new radiator and new 192 motorcraft, ran 20degrees hoter. I put a brass 192 Stant in. Temps stayed at 188 to 190, running it hard. Probaly didnt need the new radiator..LOL

Same problem with the motorcraft in my '88 5.0L t-bird

Latest posts