Temp sending unit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Long

Reaction score
03 ST....My temp gauge used to be on C when it was cold. Now it stays right in the middle of C and H when it's cold....when it's running and warms up it goes all the way to H and makes my "check gage" light come on. No abnormalities with the engine, but it seems the sending unit may be sending the wrong info or the gauge is broken.

My question....Does anyone know where the temp sending unit is? I am going to start with replacing that and then maybe the gauge next...if just the gauge can be repaced (does anyone know).

Last edited by a moderator:
on the thermostat housing, there are two sensors. one is a coolant temperature sensor and the other is the temperature sending unit sensor. both are inexpensive.

as you can see here, there are two sensors

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
See the project linked below for detailed instructions and pictures for accessing the temp sensor.

If you're going to go to all of the trouble of accessing/replacing the sensor, you might as well go ahead and replace the thermostat and thermostat housing. The housing is a high-fail part. All of the parts listed in the project are available from site sponsor Torrie at Fast Parts Network. I ordered from him, and it cost ~$157 for all the project parts shipped to my door.

@Josh: My '04 only has one sensor also. Ford must've done away with the second one...

Latest posts