takes more than one try to start?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Delaney

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 2005 Explorer sport trac V6, 4.0 4X4 Flex fuel. and i have been experiencing starting problems.... so i replaced the fuel pump (gauge still doesn't work) and it started right up the first turn of the key and it was doing fine then a few days later it started taking me 2 or 3 times to get it started. I had the alternator, battery(NEW), and starter checked at AutoZone they said there working fine. so i bought some fuel system cleaner but there hasn't been a difference.

I did notice that when i turn the key slightly it usually is able to start up on the first try.. could it be the ignition? I was turning the key firmly as far as it goes and was getting nowhere, so i tried a light 1/4 turn and it seemed like it worked ok the past few times.?

Has the fuel filter been replaced? If it has before the fuel pump replacement, I'd replace it after replacing a fuel pump (stuff gets disturbed in the tank and may clog the filter).

Try turning the key to the Run position (without attempting to start) and keep it there for about 10 seconds; return to Off and repeat and then try to start. You are trying to determine whether the fuel pump is pumping enough fuel to pressurize the system and or whether there may be a restriction in the system.

Check the fuel system pressure.

Where'd you get the fuel pump? Personally, for parts that are critical or are difficult to replace, I go with OEM because the auto parts store lifetime warranty (they can afford to offer these because the parts are "inexpensive") does little good if I have to do the job again.

I would assume the fuel filter was changed!? I had a 60s car back in the 80s and it might idle then die, I squirted quick start in the carb and it would perk up so I knew it was the fuel system. I changed the carb, no help, I changed the fuel pump, no difference, never thought a fuel filter could screw my driving experience up for a whole month!:driving:

Thank you for the replys! I didn't change the filter because I just recently put a new one on and I don't feel like it could be clogged up because when I swapped the pump out there wasn't even a spec of dust in the tank and all the fuel that I got out was clean and pure , I was really surprised! but I just replaced the serpentine belt because it's old. I'm going to see if that was part of it. And I will make plans to get a new filter anyways just so I can rule it out. Also I got the pump from autozone it's the OEM pump so I hope its good. But then again my fuel Guage doesn't work :bwahaha:

Thank you everyone

The Guage was iffy it worked then one day it dropped to empty. Then about a week later it was working again but i have always just gone by milage. It was working on and off then after the pump seemed to be working until the first fill up then it stopped and if it comes on its inacurate

I want to check on the fuel pump but i havnt found the time.

Latest posts