Tailgate lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but is the tailgate supposed to lock with the remote locks? I noticed yesterday that the tailgate will only lock when I do so with the key. Didnt know if it should be linked with teh other locks but figured I'd double check.

If it should be linked, any ideas on where to start to locate the issue.

Thanks in advance guys

No, but a couple of members have posted DIY projects to make it a "power" lock. Check them out:

<A HREF="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=120&WRENCHES=3&PageHeader=">Power Tailgate Lock</A>

<A HREF="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/projects.asp?VIEW=330&WRENCHES=3&PageHeader=">Cheap Tailgate Lock Actuator</A>

I am adding the power lock to my "08" right now. I found a new actuator on ebay shipped for around $6 but I am having to fabricate the mounting bracket. I found the F150 power tailgate actuator for about $90 but I figured building my own would be more challenging (and fun!).

I used the two projects Train Trac listed for inspiration.

Funny thing....I did mine half way yesterday! Just need to wire it up and it's all done! Total cost to me $11.29 cdn. And about an hour trying to figure out how to mount the actuator I got lol. It was just a but different from the ones in the projects but I got it figured out with the help of my dad :supercool:

Best mod I ever did to my ST. I also did it on the cheap with an eBay actuator, my own fabrication complete with "head scratching", and a lot of fun.

I hope the new owner appreciates that much favored power-locking tailgate feature!

TJR

As previously mentioned, the Sport Trac does not come with a power tailgate lock, and it is not an option from Ford.

There are numerous companies that sell electric tailgate lock actuators. They are basicly the same as the electric door lock actuators but typically use a different mounting bracket and linkage. All you need to do is to thread two wires under the vehicle and over to the passenger side rear door sill. Under the sill molding is a wire trough with a bundle of wires. two of the wires are the lock/unlock wires for the doors (colors vary by model year). Just tap into those wires and your tailgate will lock when you lock the doors, and will unlock when you unlock all the doors (press the remote unlock button 2 times).

Cost of electric tailgate lock kits vary from $29 to $89 but are all essentially the same and price is not an indicator of quality since the actuators are pretty much all made in China, so they all have about the same reliability.

I have purchased some new electric lock actuator motors for as little as $3.00 on ebay which is probably much cheaper than you can get one at a junk yard. Just be sure to get the 2-wire kind for your Sport Trac and NOT the 3 wire units. 2-wire units just reverse the polarity (+/-) while 3 wire use the third wire as a ground.

...Rich

Finished my power tailgate lock today.

For a 2008 Spot Trac the wire colors are Purple/Grey and Grey/Brown. I pulled the bottom trim away to the left of the driver'd seat (between front and rear door) and made my connections there. I routed the wire back under the door sill trim into the small access box floor behind the driver's side rear seat. There is a smal rectangular opening (covered by a metalic piece of tape) that you can fish a wire to just in front of the rear cargo box. I sealed it with a slit piece of insulated duct tape and routed it to the tailgate from there.

:banana: