Tailgate lock won't lock

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Olson

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST. I am the 3rd owner. The first owner had it for a year or two. The second owner had it for about 8 years and I purchased it used from him. I could never get the tailgate lock to allow the key to insert all the way and needless to say it would not turn. This had the manual tailgate key lock. I contacted the previous owner and he said he never used it and can't remember if it worked or not. I took it to a locksmith. They cleaned it up and said the pins were frozen and got it working.

I inserted the handle assembly back in. The lock turns and everything it just does NOT lock the tailgate. The latch handle unlocks the tailgate and that works fine, but it won't lock. The lock has an "L" shaped bracket that moves something on the latch assembly and makes it lock. I am not sure what goes where to make this work.

Please see the image. If you can send a pic of yours or provide some guidance I would appreciate it.

[Broken External Image]:

Thank you.

I suggest using Tri-Flow to lube the lock. I had the same problem with my rear tonneau lock, and after failing to free it up with either WD40 or graphite, a quick lock lube-job with Tri-Flow did the trick.

I :love: Tri-Flow but not the price. Also the best smelling lubricant EVER. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts