Tailgate lock inoperative

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Olson

Reaction score
I have a 2001 ST that I picked up used. I am going through my shopping list of things that need to get done and things that I might improve upon. You could not unlock the door from the driver's side, I got that fixed. I replaced the mirror switch on the door and got the power mirrors back on line.

I have the owner's manual and tried to lock the tailgate. I have two original factory keys and they only go about halfway into the lock assemlby and they don't turn. The manual says to use the ignition keys. Anyone have any ideas about what is going on before I disassemble that latch?

Thanks in advance.

Since it is used, and the keys don't fit, perhaps the front door locks have been rekeyed, or the tail gate was replaced and the lock was not rekeyed? Since the key does not go all the way into the tail gate lock, perhaps there is a key or something broke off in the lock?

What I would do is get an electric tailgate lock and connect the wires to the back door electric locks so when you lock the doors, the tail gate locks, and when you press the remote lock twice it unlocks the back doors and the tail gate. That's how I set up my 2001 and 2003 Sport Tracs and how most people connect their electric lock.

Perhaps you already have an electric tail gate lock? Some models don't lock and unlock the actual lock, but block the handle from lifting and unlatching. You can test this by simply unlocking all the doors by pressing the unlock button twice...either on the driver's door or on the remote.

Finally, you can removed the inner plastic panel on the tailgate and check if there is some electronic lock solenoid, or you can gain access to the old lock. You can take the lock to a locksmith to have a key made, or have the lock rekeyed to fit your existing keys.

...Rich

WD40

I tried my key after many years of using only the remote and had similar issues with all the locks. Before doing anything else, I would spray WD40 in the lock cylinders and then try to work them free. You may be surprised.

Thanks for all the help. My ST did not have the remote power locks. So I am going to spray some WD40 in there and see what happens.

Cyberwiz64,

You may not have received any remotes when you purchased our used Sport Trac, but I am pretty sure that all Sport Tracs came with Power Remote door locks and the Driver's door keypad as standard equipment.

You can buy remotes and program your truck to respond to the remotes.

...Rich

My 2001 did not have the keypad entry system. It does not have cruise control or any additional things on the steering wheel either so apparently this had some toys but not a lot.

Cyberwiz64,

OK, well then if you do not have the door keypad, etc, then I guess Ford made a few 2001 Sport Trac's without those options...Oh well.

If cleaning the lock does not work you iwll probably have to go to a locksmith to find out what's wrong.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
LOCKSMITH????? Did some-one mention LOCKSMITH??????...:bwahaha:

[Broken External Image]:

Sorry, you're just a little too far away........................

The tailgate lock was probably never used by the previous owner and has corroded in place. This was the case on the Mustang we got for my son a few years ago. The key fob would unlock the doors and trunk but the key wouldn't turn in either one. Shooting all the WD-40 in the world into them didn't help. I had a body shop pull the lock cylinders out and I took them to a locksmith to be cleaned and lubed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts