tailgate latch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul McDevitt

Reaction score
Every once in a while, my tailgate latch locks by itself. There will be no tension on the handle when I try to open the tailgate, I'll have to insert the key and unlock it to get it to open. Twice I have had to take the black cladding off the inside of the gate, and jiggle stuff around to get the key to turn.

I suspect some worn parts in the latch assy.

Anyone experience this? Cost and descriptions of parts replaced to correct? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've experienced it a few times, but the key has always unlocked it for me, sometimes It takes some force to turn the key. I've found that it happens if the tailgate isn't shut hard enough or if you just lightly latch it. Seems to happen when I have something in the bed that is just barely too long or the bed extender isn't flat and pushes on the inside of the tailgate. Haven't figured out what causes it to lock though.

Most times when it happens, it happens as I am lifiting the handle. I'll feel resistance, but then feel a pop, and the resistance ceases, as if the release latch is disengaged from the tailgate handle (which is what happens when it is locked). When that happens, I have to use the key to unlock, the latch re-engages with the handle, and I can open the tailgate.

Latest posts