Tailgate Alert

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Dacher

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been posted before but there was a recent article in a Los Angeles paper that the police are finding a significant increase in the theft of tailgates. Theives are finding them easy to steal when they are unlocked and then they get a new lock kit from an auto parts store. Most of these thefts are being used to replace damanged tailgates. Seems like the high costs of the tailgates and ease of stealing are making them popular targets. The police stated that the best way to deter these thefts is to keep the tailgates (and tonneau covers) locked. Please pass this on to any friends that have pickups.

Also, you can put a hose clamp around the hinge point on the passengers side. This makes simply lifting the gate off the truck no longer simple.

I don't have this on mine, because I take my gate off occasionally so I can see my trailer easier, but I heard it works.

That's right, keep that badboy locked at ALL times. Trust no one, it happened to my friend right in his driveway, under his bedroom window. :eek: He went to the dealer to check the price on a replacement, $800.00 !!!! :angry: And that was for an unpainted, raw, no plastic gaurds, no name badges or anything. Bastards !!! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a triple deterent to tailgate theft.

1. I installed an electric tailgate lock.

2. I have installed the stainless hose clamp as mentioned by Fred.

3. I have Comprehensive insurance coverage with a $50 deductable.l

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that if you remove the handle, people are confused by your tailgate. Not sure how it works or something, like its a magic trick.

i have heard about this a few months ago..........

but thanks for the heads ( or should i say, tails ) up.

Search the projects for the electric tailgate project. Myself and others did it, and it's the best mod I have done...and cheap. I used a cheap $8 actuator off eBay.

TJR

Yeah when I first joined the navy I got my tailgate stolen on my 98 f150 a couple years ago before the track. I was in boot camp and my alarm was really sensitive and it went off when loud trucks went by so my smart dad disconnected my battery. Just so happens someone jacked my tailgate. So yeah my gate is always locked now. Learn from me keep it locked dont be lazy.:D

If it's unlocked someone could also steal the bed extender. If the tailgate is locked, you can't remove it.

Latest posts