Tail Gate Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Swanson

Reaction score
Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted here, but I seem to have a problem with my ST's tail gate. I have an 01 Job 2 ST I bought new in 2001. The tail gate will NOT open. I pull on the handle, I hear some kind of click, but it won't open. Short of taking it to a dealer or mechanic, is there a way to get this fixed? Anyone have any pointers? Thanks.

Sounds to me. you need to take off the inside of the tailgate, and see whats not working.. I know the Rangers did this alot. the bars and handle would wear out.

I think Sal is right. You will most likely have to take the cover off of the inside of the tailgate to see what is going on. I think it is six screws and the cover will be loose enough from the top to look in. I am not sure if the cover will come loose with the tailgate in the closed position.

put your key in, turn it all the way to the unlock position and hold it there with one hand while opening the tailgate with the other

Latest posts