Tackling the Coolant Flush...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score
Morning fellow SportTracers,

I wanted to tackle flushing my coolant this weekend and wanted to confirm the steps as I know many of you have done this...

This will be the first for doing this, as I recall seeing others perform the flush:

Step 1: Purchase a Radiator Flush kit (attached to a hose). Flush coolant...

Step 2: Fill Radiator with Yellow coolant (as I've found to be the color recommended by ford for my 2003 Sport Trac.)

Step 3: Start and Run the Trac with Radiator cap still open, continue to add coolant has coolant starts flowing through.

Step 4: Once Radiator is full, top off Coolant resivoir to fill line.

Sound about right?

My Sport Trac is a 2003 4x2 with 68,000Kms... I've read that it may be premature but while cleaning my engine last week, I noticed that the Coolant resivoir had some sand like residue around the inside? Could be normal but since I'm off this week I thought I'd tackle this and wash out the resivour before refilling... Could be normal?

Let me know and keep up the great work here with all the knowledge sharing!

Thanks again...John A

Last edited by a moderator:

Right. Just got back from the Auto Parts store and will pre-mix the Coolant today with DeIonized water and tackle the flush tomorow...

thnx