"Switched" Wire for Aux Fog Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Kong

Reaction score
I am installing a PIAA wiring harness for a set of the 510 lights. I would like the fogs to only be available when the headlights are on, but not to turn off (like the original built-in fog lights) when I hit the high beams.

Which wire should I tap into for my "switched power" in my 2005 XLT? Is it best to connect under the hood or under the dash?

I did a search in the "Projects" section and in the "ST Board" w/o success. Any help appreciated. THANK YOU.

You should install the aftermarket relay(s) that should be included with any quality off-road lighting product. If yours does not come with any separate relay, you can buy one online from Warshawsky (JCWhitney.com) or many other automotive suppliers. The power that goes from the relay to the lights should be wired directly to the B+ battery terminal. Because of the short distance and high current, I prefer to wire the ground (a.k.a. "negative"), which may be only the mounting post for each light, directly to the B- battery terminal. Copper wire is a better conductor than iron, and provides a more reliable and altogether better circuit for the axillary lighting. Run a pair of wires to a switch inside the cabin. You can use an unused factory switch position, drill a hole for a switch, or add a switch panel.

NOTE: In many states, using high beams of any kind, including factory stock low beams aimed high, factory stock high beams, factory stock so-called "daytime driving lights", factory stock so-called "fog lights", factory stock so-called "driving lights", and all aftermarket lights that can be seen by other motorists IS ILLEGAL most of the time. This depends on state laws, but typically applies to any situation when you can see another automobile on a public road.

Remember that if you blind another motorist, you can be killed too. Don't use candlepower as a substitute/advertisement for your alleged virility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the relays and trigger them off of the parking light wire.

d6b3ec0824030a4db6d3200f90561d5c.jpg

Loop a switch into that if you want to be able to turn them off with your lights on.

b11e4d9c974c69ba1b3ca0a086931a7e.jpg

"Remember that if you blind another motorist, you can be killed too. Don't use candlepower as a substitute/advertisement for your alleged virility."

Well said, comment on my alleged virility notwithstanding. :grin:

The PIAA harness has the relay and an on-off (illuminated) switch. I did not intend to use aux fogs combined with high beams as a weapon, I just live on the coast and we occasionally get killer fog and I have a getaway house in the Nevada desert and go off road at times. Been a cop since 1980 so I know what illegal lights / light use are and the problems they can cause.

THANKS for the info. Will try to get them hooked up this week. I have the lights mounted already.

I did mine the way Steve is suggesting but also threw a switch in the mix so I can turn them off.

My second illustration shows the switch installation. Mine are wires straight until I get time to add the switch.

Been a cop since 1980....................................

Nice to know considering your tailgate ornament posted in your gallery! Did you get that from Arnold?

But since 1980???? You need to give up the "copping" business and kick back! You're working for nothing unless you're on your second career.

Well said, comment on my alleged virility notwithstanding.

Not yours in particular. I don't understand the actual motivations for road ragers / hyper-aggressive drivers who choose SUVs and light trucks to wreak their havoc with. Frankly I'm glad I don't understand their motives!

I did not intend to use aux fogs combined with high beams as a weapon, I just live on the coast and we occasionally get killer fog and I have a getaway house in the Nevada desert and go off road at times. Been a cop since 1980 so I know what illegal lights / light use are and the problems they can cause.

Welcome to a small but caring minority.

In Illinois, it has been illegal to use (real) fog lights without also using the low beams. Since properly designed fog lights are made to shine light in that 1-3 foot area near the ground where there isn't fog, using headlights pretty much ruins the advantages of true fog lights.

I'm a California native and love visiting my homeland because the cops there actually enforce the "nuisance" laws that can and do lead to much worse traffic accidents. I nearly ran over a kid on a bike when some ah...person decided that shooting a million candlepower right into my eyes was a good idea. After I considered the burden I would carry if I struck that kid, and the person who caused it all got away without a trace, I have become an advocate for safe vehicle lighting.

As long as your "parking light" circuit isn't one of those high-Lux high beams that is brighter than most states allow for low beams, and sends a confusing message "I'm parked" for a moving vehicle, that's a good idea, so you don't kill your battery. Naturally I advocate repairing the illegal high-beam parking lights, as well as other too high and/or too bright "daytime running lights". It's the law, and it's safer. I don't know of any good coming from driving around at night without any tail lights, and high beams up front.

Best wishes to you, Gary!

Bill

Yes...I am semi retired. I teach schools on how to deal with an active shooter inc. how classrooms may have to attack a shooter who gets in. I am on the pension railroad.

I also work p/t as a science teacher for a middle school. They consider me the school officer/teacher. One of the reasons I have the "Decepticon" logos on my Trac.

Working more on developing prop guns. See my photo library for pics of my Trac with a minigun.

Latest posts