Suspension / Steering Squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an annoying squeak in the front suspension or steering that I am trying to track down. It's a metal on metal noise. It only happens when suspension moves while the wheels are forward (not turned right or left) or the steering is moved a little right or left of center. It only originates on the drivers side.

Both the upper and lower control arms were replaced about 18 months ago, the tires are new, the shocks are new. All of the boots look good and all fasteners are tight. I replaced and greased the sway bar bushings. I even sprayed WD-40 on the control arm joints out of desperation.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Check the body mounts. Also sway bar end links and brake caliper bolts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a similar but more noisy issue on my 2001 (4 X4). Replaced the sway bar links (one was broke), replaced the tie rods ends. Greased the ball joints, Sprayed silicone on all bushings. No change.

Noise occurs when pushing down on front bumper, more pronounced when steering left of right and always occurrs over any bump.

Replaced the ball joints 100,000 miles ago (have 182,000 now) might be due for new ones.

Too cold here now to tear down the front end. Will replace much of the front suspension next spring.

You might take the ST in for an alignment. If the ball joints are worn or something else is loose and an alignment is not possible the mechanic will point to the bad component.

That's al for now

Have a similar but more noisy issue on my 2001 (4 X4). Replaced the sway bar links (one was broke), replaced the tie rods ends. Greased the ball joints, Sprayed silicone on all bushings. No change.

Noise occurs when pushing down on front bumper, more pronounced when steering left of right and always occurrs over any bump.

Replaced the ball joints 100,000 miles ago (have 182,000 now) might be due for new ones.

Too cold here now to tear down the front end. Will replace much of the front suspension next spring.

You might take the ST in for an alignment. If the ball joints are worn or something else is loose and an alignment is not possible the mechanic will point to the bad component.

That's all for now