Suspension for 2001 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonny Walukow

Reaction score
Good day folks,

This is my first "asking question" post. I don't have a good mechanical knowledge so be easy for me.

I have 2001 4x4 ST that I want to lowered. I will put 20" rims with 275/45/20 tires. Here are my questions:

1. For you that installed 20" rims, did you put any wheel spacers to avoid rubbing when turning?

2. When you go with this size rims & tires, should I go with bigger brake disc (or rotor?)?

2. I'm planning to do 2" blocks and TT for lowering my ST. Now, which easy-on-the-money shocks that is good for this application? Monroe? Edelbrock? One time I read on ExplorerForum.com (can I mention the name?) that Edelbrock sells shocks for lowered truck and it cost around $24.00 (?). But I couldn't see one that are for ST.

Thank you all...!

~Sonny

Sonny- I'm using stock 16" rims, so I can't comment regarding the "twenties".

I have dropped my '05 ST 3 inches using lowering blocks and torsion keys.

From the advice here, I used standard shocks, (Sensa-Tracs) with good results.

The combination of dropping, shocks, rear sway bar, and front end links, transformed

my Trac into a nimble beast. Can't imagine the improvement new Michelin's would make. OMG

Have not heard many positives regarding the Edelbrock IAS Shocks. (Longevity issue)

Check the Doetsch Tech "Nitro Slammer" shocks at about $42 each, designed for lowered trucks.

(Found out after I bought my Monroe's) Homework and research time for you, good luck.

P.S.- Explorer Express lists the Edelbrock "Lowered" IAS Shocks @ $86-$96 each. (Sponsor)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sonny,

This is from the FAQ section on the left, and it may help you only as a point of reference:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Category

Wheels and Tires

Frequently Asked Question

What are the biggest tires that fit on a gen 1 Sport Trac without a lift?

Answer

265/70-16 - Possible chance of slight rub lock to lock. The 265's are 30.5" tall, and that dimension can vary from tire to tire, mfg to mfg. Some members report running 275/70/16 with minor rubbing as well. Do a site search and you will find more on this topic.

Last Updated

11/19/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as shocks go, most people here that have lowered their ST have gone with Monroe Sensa-Trac or Rancho RS5000.

Thanks for your reply Rodger.

I think with a low profile tires (45) I should be ok. I just wondered with so wide tire's profile (275) would it rub. I used the wheel calculator below for reference. I will be 1.4" closer to suspension/brakes component while still having 100% clearance with my fenders/wheelwells. However, I read on the other site, with this rims/tires combination, they didn't get any rubbing.

So I just want to clarify.

Sonny,

I have the exact same set up that you are looking into. 20" chrome wheels with 275/45/20 tires and I'm lowered about 2.5 inches up front and 3 inches in the back.

1. I did not install wheel spacers, but only have slight rubbing issues when the wheel is locked out. I usually just try to avoid doing so and haven't come across an issue as of yet.

2. Again, I did not install larger rotors or different brakes. I know some will recommend it due to the additional weight, but just give yourself a little more stopping room and you should be fine. Again, no issues.

3. I have read that the Edelbrock shocks for lowered STs are prone to failure. I went with the Rancho RSX (Monroe Reflex equivalent) and they have done the job for me.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

As far as I know, no one makes larger rotors for the ST. Many of us wish someone would! But it would take a different mount for the caliper or an adapter to put the caliper back in the right position to work with the larger rotor.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info. Your ST's look is exactly what I'm looking for. I guess I'm good to install my 20" this week without wheel spacers. I got a feeling that it should be OK. And thanks for the info on the rotor and shocks.

What is the cost for your Rancho? Since money is thight for me right now, I was wondering if it is OK for me to have $43 shocks on the front and go with $20 shock for the rear. Consider that front shocks will carry more weight with the engine.

Any feedback?

Sonny,

I don't have 20s, but 18s I'm running 265/65/18 with stock suspension. Mine dont need spacers due to rubbing, but I have 2" on the rear and 1.25 on the front to widen the stance. Pics in my library

Sonny,

I don't have 20s, but 18s I'm running 265/65/18 with stock suspension. Mine dont need spacers due to rubbing, but I have 2" on the rear and 1.25 on the front to widen the stance. Pics in my library

Latest posts