Survey: What states have vehicle inspections?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NJ, safety, emmissions, the works. iin NJ, you can't even put the "line of fire" on the back of your truck b\c the law states no more then 3 red lights on the rear of the vehicle. It's overkill here

Edit:

NJ does the ODB2 connection for vehicles 98 and newer. If the ODB connector is broken you automatically fail. And if you fail for emissions you have to go to a state authorized repair facility and bring back documentation verifying what was repaired along with the receipt.

Last edited by a moderator:
CA: Emissions testing (of course - the leader).

No safety inspections (let's not give them ideas, now!):D

TX - they call it safety but... Lights, horn, brakes etc. Not too stringent. Some places in TX have emissions too, NOT San Antonio. I think it varies by county.

grump

NC - safety in all counties, emissions in a bunch and coming soon to all.

Delaware

on OBD2 vehicles they plug into the port.. also safty check of sights and brakes..

older cars have emission testing with teh sniffer... safety and brakes...

thay also pressurize the gas tank....

Had to take my 88 vette through the inspection today.... passed with no problems...

troy

TN - No state inspections, but Shelby County (Memphis) requires an annual safety/emissions inspection. It's basic... my last vehicle, from California, hardly registered on their emissions test. :)

AZ has emissions testing in Phoenix that I know of for sure.

When we lived in TX I always thought the inspections were kind of pointless. All it really meant was that your car had to be 'legal' one day out of the year. Everything on my Dad's 62 VW bug only worked one day a year.

Our old 77 F150 failed the inspection once because the horn didn't work. I told the guy that I knew that the horn worked so I turned the steering wheel to the necessary position and honked the horn. He gave me my inspection sticker and I was on my way. The horn only worked in that truck with the wheel in certain place.

Latest posts