Surprise! The NY Times prefers the Ridgeline

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Maurer 2

Reaction score
I was disappointed to discover that the ST made the Times "worst of" auto lists, but what do you expect from a bunch of left wing latte lappers.....even if it is my favorite newspaper. I agree with him on the M6, though.:angry:

Coming Up Short

All was not rosy in the showroom in 2006. A few cars and trucks missed the mark, including, in my view, the following:

1. JEEP COMPASS ($22,855) The powertrain is unrefined, the styling is other-worldly and the very concept of this not-trail-rated Jeep runs counter to the rugged qualities that the Chrysler division has long claimed as its own. The Compass seems like a sellout — and not in terms of its sales numbers.

2. DODGE CALIBER ($23,935) Here’s a Compass wearing different, more agreeable clothes. The wagon body is practical and, compared with the Jeep’s weird styling, fairly appealing. The available features include lighted cupholders and party-friendly flip-down speakers in the hatch. But the engine and transmission in my test car felt just as crude as the Compass’ and the interior materials screamed “Cheap!” Dodge might benefit from spending some time looking over the Kia Sportage or Hyundai Tucson, which are both much more appealing.

3. FORD EXPLORER SPORT TRAC ($33,330) While I find the latest version of the Explorer S.U.V. fairly agreeable, the pickup version seems crude and plasticky in comparison. Before Ford tries to do another new-wave truck, somebody in Dearborn should spend some time with the Honda Ridgeline, an oddball pickup that really works.

4. CADILLAC STS-V ($77,090) If I had to pick just one Detroit-brand vehicle on which to spend my own money, chances are I’d choose the rip-roaring Cadillac CTS-V, a worthy competitor to some very good German sport sedans. In comparison, the jazzed-up version of the CTS’s big brother, the STS, seems unexceptional. Yes, the supercharged Northstar V-8 is blazingly fast. Yes, the car’s cosmetic makeover (big wheels, mesh grille) looks cool. And, yes, the interior has been upgraded. But the STS-V’s handling can’t begin to match the Germans, and the window sticker raises expectations that the car fails to meet.

5. BMW M6 ($106,690) Not many years ago, I’d have been hard pressed to name a BMW that didn’t thrill me. Now, too often, they just irritate me — with silly chimes, inscrutable controls, quirky turn signals, intrusive “active” steering. To that, the M6 adds a sequential manual gearbox that makes most any driver feel like a fool. I’ll concede that the M6 is a robot-perfect performance machine capable of feats that seem to defy the laws of physics. Yet it may also be the most soulless BMW yet.

Yeah, you're right TJR, but NY Times??? btw, I'm only kidding. I have to dog the NY Times since I'm from the south. lol.

I feel that's it's my duty. I work with a couple guys from NY, they're great guys but they just can't stop with the hillbilly crap about NC people. Once in a while, when enough has been enough I ask if it's so f'ed up here why do you yankee f's continue to move here??? LOL!!! They know I'm kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally would agree, however, when you look at the numbers and trail performance. The SportTrac sucks without major mods. Its a street Utility Vehicle, definitely not Sport, it breaks down a lot, (fords fault, not specifically a ST issue) BUT, it looks awesome, it sure looks a lot better than anything else comparable....but lately, im getting over looks and am looking for more practicality and performance. Im praying Toyota takes FORD over and makes a kick ass SUT. Never thought id say this because I am a patriotic american but FORD is the shits.

I think it's a fair call. I do think that if you're shopping for a 2007 vehicle, the Ridgeline is a better investment and more bang for the buck. They will hold their value better than a ST due to Honda's excellent reliability record. I looked at the Ridgeline earlier this year, and I'd have been happy to own one, but what my wallet could afford was a pre-owned '02 ST with 41k miles. I love my ST, but can't say that I won't be thinking about picking up a Ridgeline in a couple of years... :)

Until the 07 release, the ST (IMO) was the standard setter in SUT style. I feel Ford shot themselves in the foot due to the 07 being so bland.

But can't believe that NY Times typed Ford & Honda in the same sentence. Buy a Ford if you like it. Buy a Honda forlongevity.

Honda was obviously trying to make at look as much as possible like the Escalade XLT, which is disappointing. I think the Avalanche is the ugliest of the lot, though, the grey plastic trim around the bed just looks wrong, and they all look like their wheels are too small for the truck size.