Sunday maintenence day

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
The sport trac got a lot of love today:

All 4 shocks- Rancho 5000

Motorcraft Plugs and Denso wires

Rear diff fluid and new rear pumpkin cover (Axle seal attempt see other post)

Front diff oil change

This was the second time i've done all of these jobs on this truck, first time at 75,000 miles when I bought and now at 155,000 miles, and everything came apart easily. The spark plugs all looked the same and were worn to about .062. They came out a little stiffer then I would have expected.

What year is your ST Jeff? I have an 08 and plan to do the tranny/front/rear/transfer case fluids shortly. Seeing the youtube videos of the rear diff, it does not look difficult at all. How challenging is the front diff? Do I need to open up the case and reseal it like the rear?

Thanks in advance!

Mines a 2001 so it might be different. But the front diff you can't access the cover unless you drop the whole front diff! So I just suck out as much as I can using a transfer pump. Then pump the new stuff in till it runs out the fill whole. It took about 1.5 qts.

Thanks Jeff...did my oil change last night and inspected the front diff. Mine can be removed without too much of a hassle but I do like the idea of using a transfer pump. It saves me the trouble of breaking the diff seal if I dont have to. This process shouldn't be too difficult.

Latest posts