Subwoofer Problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My factory subwoofer keeps cutting out. It will play for a few minutes then cut out. If you turn the stereo off and on again it comes back. Problem seems to date back to a time when I left the rear window down and it rained. I have checked / cleaned the connector but it did not help.

Sounds like its getting hot, or something si shorting out like the speaker and causing the amp to shut down

Todd Z

If the speaker got wet. Most likley the speaker coil has almost a dead short resistance.

Remove it from the box and measure the ohms with a digital vom. Unplug it from the amp when you do.

Jeff, did you ever get your subwoofer problem resolved? I have the same issue on an '07 Limited with the nav unit. The sub will work fine for a while, then cut out. It doesn't seem to be related to volume or any other stereo settings as far as I can tell, and simply switching the radio off and back on temporarily fixes the problem. Eventually the sub cuts out again. I don't think it's a thermal issue because clicking the stereo off and on resets the sub immediately.

I have a wiring diagram and a VOM but since the problem is so intermittent I'm not quite sure how to diagnose this, or whether I should try to have it professionally serviced at a dealership or an after-market stereo place. *sigh*

Eureka, my subwoofer problem seems fixed! I was searching the amp part number to order a replacement and came across this post from the F150 forum. I resoldered the pads mentioned, and haven't had a problem since. Yay! :banana:

Latest posts