Sub box

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Brandon

Reaction score
I was looking at some downfired sub boxes for the sport trac. Do anyone knows if those boxes sound good when they are pointed downward instead of upward.:)

From my research as well (not experience) downfiring is a much better route. The general principal is that the seat cushion will absorb some of the bass emmitted from your subs where as a downfiring sub will travel through the cabin better.

It's also why downfiring subs are not recommended in home theater set-ups where you have carpet installed... ;)

I have a single 10" upfiring sub box...

[Broken External Image]:

This is my first experience with underseat type enclosures as I'm used to the much larger forward firing sub boxes.

I'm totally happy with the bass I can get out of this enclosure and it has actually exceeded my expectations. From what I heard, there are a few good points to having a down firing enclosure as opposed an upfiring one like RS mentioned about the sound travel in the cabin, masking higher frequencies that may get through to the sub, and protecting the woofer from potential damage from the seat undercarriage.

Let us know how things go if you decide to get the downfiring enclosure...

I use an MTX Thunderform in mine pushed by a Rockford Fosgate 450.4 powering it in bridge mode(~225w rms @ 4ohms) and the front Infinity Components in stereo(~110W rms @ 2.7ohms). Rear fill is a set of Infinity Coaxials powered by the Kenwood DDX514 head unit(~30w rms @ 2.7 ohms). System was easy to install, no wire cutting, does not attract unwanted attention and gets none stop compliments.

I just had one of these installed. They fit under the back passenger seat. It keeps the seat from laying down flat, but I can still get to the storage box behind it. I LOVE it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTX-THUNDERFORM-FORD-EXPLORER-SPORT-TRAC-CUSTOM-10-BOX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1e56e0f835QQitemZ130306603061QQptZCarQ5fSubwoofersQ5fEnclosures

Latest posts