Sub/Amp Wiring Gen2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Richmiller

Reaction score
I have a 2009 ST with the subwoofer and was just wondering how the sub and amp is wired back there. Specifically if i can uninstall the stock sub and amp and use the current wiring for the audio to the my new amp or if additional audio wiring/equipment is required.

Sorry I'm not familiar with the gen2's at all.. You could start probing back there for some answers.

I'm sure you can use a portion of what is there, but it is more than likely small gauge wire and won't be very good for a large wattage amp. If you wanted to keep the amp in place you could always add another amp after the fact and use the signal wires. Or even replacing the amp shouldn't be too difficult, but I would run a new power and ground of larger diameter than stock.

Yes i do plan on running new ground and power wires. I tried to convey that i only would use the audio wiring coming from the head unit.

I saw how Ford wired the speakers in my 2003 ST so i wanted to make sure it wasn't something unique like that. Also i wanted to make sure there was a signal control wire coming from the head unit for the amp as well. Last time i did this on my 2003 ST i had a aftermarket head unit so i knew what to expect.

I know that some members in here were previously talking about a aftermarket box that would need to be used so that an amp could be used for the 4 speakers. I wanted to make sure nothing like that was necessary for the sub/amp.

Also i'm probably going to get about a 900W for 2 subs, would you recommend a 4Ga or 8Ga power/ground wire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Richie,

For about $15 you can pick up a 2009 Sport Trac Wiring Manual on eBay. Money well spent, and it should tell you everything you need to know for your project.

I have both the shop manual and wiring manual for my '04 Trac, and they've been invaluable resources for repairs and DIY projects.:supercool:

check out the link for wire sizing recommendations.

I run 4 gauge split into two 8's for my setup. My sub amp is 500 watts rms, it may not be ideal, but I already had it.

I can't help with any of the other details.. someone who has a gen2 will have to chime in.

Latest posts