STS turbo

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billy reilly

Reaction score
Has anybody installed or considered installing a STS turbo. The prices seem pretty reasonable. I have been wanting a SC but the price is a bit much.

It has been discussed in the past. I dont know of anyone that done it though.

I would say 'cause of intake location. No off roading or high water, driving.

I considered it. I contacted a few shops that list themselves as STS dealers. Even stopped by one of the places and had them look at the truck. I wanted to run a small intercooler in the lower bumper opening on the STA and that was the first thing they shot down.

The guys said running the piping itself for the whole kit wouldnt be difficult, but obviously time consuming so the $$$ would start to rack up.

I havent written it off completely. $2k for the single turbo mounted just before the rear axle + a good dyno tune would be around $3K total, and should put out 390 or so?

Pepper K496,

That's the beauty of the STS Turbo system....you don't need an intercooler. The long piping from the turbo to the intake and the turbo location (by the rear axle) eliminates the need for an intercooler.

Depending on if you want a single or dual turbo system, piping should under the Sport Trac should be a snap since there is a ton of room under there. The only real tight place is around the spare tire and gas tank. And if they can put 2 turbos under a tightly packed chassis of a Corvette, the Sport Trac should be a piece of cake.

My only question is, does STS sell a kit for the Sport Trac? It sounds like the shop you went to are going to custom fabricate the pipes to fit your Sport Trac, and of course, that will cost a lot more than a true bolt on kit.

...Rich

My only concern is the filter/intake location. I would think that my local muffler shop could bend some pipe for a reasonable price. I may start looking at it more in a few months.

I looked into Turbo. Back in 1988 - I bought a Cartech Modified 5.0 Mustang that had unbelievable power, it topped out at 188 mph - It was sounding so flippin complicated and unclean - I went supercharged for a crisp clean look. I do miss the woosh of the wastegate but I am happy with the SC as the application looks so OEM the even the Dealer has to do a double take and even some say - yeah, we should have ordered one of those...

I am looking into the STS Turbo setup. Since my emissions in STL are a PAIN IN THE @$$, I have to do other work. So I am looking at a new long block and the sts system. I will fab up a box that will shed water and still get air for the turbo. On my truck with the body lift it will be simple to run pipe. My only goal is to have gas pedal left when going uphill on the highway. Would like to make Eisenhour tunnel in Denver at about 70mph..

On Two Guys Garage this weekend they were adding a Wiffle Supercharger to a 2011 Camaro Indy Pace Car. Kind of unique in that the supercharger has a water cooled intercooler built into plentum area under the supercharger. The intercooler has it's own electric pump and an evaporator core that mounts in front of the radiator. So you only need to run water hoses, rather than ducting the compressed intake air through a front mounted intercooler. It also used a special box to vary the voltage to the stock fuel pump to increase fuel deliver when the boost kicked in. Overall it was a very clean and easy installation

They indicated that the supercharger added an additional 170 HP to the Camaro. I did not catch what the price of the kit was?

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: