Strut questions...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stevens

Reaction score
So, my 07 LIMITED 4x4 is due for new struts. My plan is to go with. the KYB's as we don't have much of a choice. I had intended to purchase them online. My concern is that I'll need other parts that I might not be aware of. Is it usually the situation that it's a plug n play type thing where you don't have need any other parts besides the struts or will my installer need additional pieces that I should obtain prior to the install?

Thanks for any input..!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't Monroe still make the Reflex struts for our trucks? There's gotta be other options? I mean, KYB is a great product(used on my road rally cars). I just did the Monroes in mine about 3-4 months ago. Dunno. Bob

Hey Bob,

It appears that those are the only two brands with offerings for my rig.

Any opinions on whether the struts need an install kit, or bushings, or any other parts which would go into a typical strut install?

I just bought new rubber all around too. Nice Yokahama Envigors..!! Next will be stock rotors and Performance Friction pads...I'm stoked......this will be like a brand new truck...!!!

As far as I knew, Reflexes were the only game in town. Getting some soon. 69k on it and the OE's are getting soft.

You could replace the insulator that is on top of the strut if you wanted to but there is typically nothing wrong with it.

Just diggin up bones. My 07 4x4 has started making some thumping sounds, especially in cold weather. I suspect it has something to do with the front struts but not real sure. Living here in NE OH there are lots of potholes and that just makes the problem all the more noticeable. Could it be the insulators on top of the struts or the struts themselves? The truck seems to handle fine. I also checked for obvious things like loose exhaust hangers, sway bar bushings, etc. but everything looks fine. Just under 75k miles. The frontend has always been kind of odd when going over low speed obstacles like parking lot speed bumps as the factory struts seem to have too much rebound or something.

blksn8k

Too fast rebound is exactly how I described the issue but the issue seemed to develop overnight with mine, I would drive over speed bumps and the front end would make a very noticeable bang when the front suspension rebounded. After several trips to the dealer I finally got them to warranty the front struts and problem solved...taught there suspension "guru" as they called him, a thing or 2 about suspension as well.

l1tech, I never questioned the dealer about why the front suspension did that on my truck. I always assumed it was just a design flaw. Even if it wasn't, I figured I would never get the dealer to do anything about it due to the fact that I have larger than stock tires on it. Granted, the dealer installed the tires before I took delivery of the truck but I have no doubt they would have blamed any suspension irregularities on the oversize tires anyway. Hopefully a set of non-Ford replacement struts will cure the thumping. At 75k miles it's probably due for replacements anyway.

Just ordered KYB front struts and rear shocks from justsuspension.com for $278.19 total. Free shipping. Also used discount code FOLLOWJS.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting better all the time. Just Suspension also has a $20 mail in rebate on KYB shocks through the end of Feb.

Latest posts