Strange Sound when Reving Engine....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Duckworth

Reaction score
Hi All!!

I put the cold air intake on this evening. Went with a K&N Cone Filter. The mod went very well. From start to finish, probably right at an hour. It probably can be done quicker, but I baby'd everything since this was my first time working on her.

Here's my problem, and I do not believe it's related to the Intake.

When finished, I wanted to hear how the engine/intake sounded so I revved up the engine. Everything sounded great............But....when it revved to 4000 rpm's, it sounded like this....(I am gonna do my best to describe it).......

NORMAL (or what I think is normal): Vaaaaaaaa Roooooommmmm Vaaaaa Roooooommmm

What I heard: Vaaaaaaa Roooooooooom (and while the Roooommm is going on there were a quick sets of roooommm rooooommm rooooommm roooooommmm), kinda like a quick sets of stutters maybe??? The engine never acted like it was gonna stall and no lose of power.

OK...this just hit me.....you know how Anti Lock Brakes work and sound when used........stop..spin..stop...spin..... the engine sounded like ABS for an engine.....

I hope to GOD this makes sense.

I don't know of a way of recording the sound and posting it. I can call anyone who would like to hear it if my explanation makes no sense.

The ST runs like brand new with no problems what so ever, also, this may be normal, I had been driving a 97 Taurus since 97 till I got the ST last month, so I am still learning all her sounds and feelings.

What do yall think??

Ron

The engine has a rev limiter on it. The first time I reved my to 4000 RPM's it cut back the RPM's like it was cutting out and missing. When driving the Trac it worked fine even over 4000 RPM's

Mark S

The rev-limiter kicks in at 3000rpm when gear is parked. At this rpm, mine goes...vvvvrrrrrrr..vrmmm..vvvvvvrm....

Last edited by a moderator:
WWHHHHHHEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!

THANKS!!! All you guys RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I can cuddle up next to my wife and sleep well tonight. Man I was worrying.

I gotta ask this...... Did I describe the sound good??? I thought everyone would think I was crazy.

Thanks again!!

Ron

You being crazy and being able to make funny sounds has nothing to do with each other.

In fact, being crazy probably helps...

I have been speaking to only one. Mrs Duckworth. And she lives in Buhl, AL.

What are the odds that it is the same Mrs. Duckworth???? Can't be too good of a chance.... Can it?

HHHmmmmmmm....

So that's where she was all night.

And all this time I thought I convinced her to get the Sport Trac. I guess you were "batting" for me behind my back.

Thanks!

:)

Ron

BACK to the original question!!!

It is an idle rev-limiter. It is normal on almost all newer vehicles. My 2005 trac

will go all the way to 5500 rpm in drive ( passing gear, etc), before it shifts.

If I have it in neutral or park in the driveway, and try to rev it, it will only go to about

2500 rpm before the rev limiter kicks in (the vroooooooom-voom-voom-voom-voom)

sound!

Actually, Ron you made a good analogy of the way it sounds!

And I guess you could say it is like an "anti-lock" system for our crankshafts,

so we don't sit there like fools, in our driveways, revving the $h!t out of our

engines, just to hear how good they sound!!!:D

Latest posts