STrange noise when turning off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conrad AlbertoJr

Reaction score
There is a strange noise when I turn my car off. It has been off and on for the past few weeks, but now as the temperature has been cooling, it does it every time I shut the car off. Has anybody had this issue in the past?

It happens right when I turn the engine to off, its almost like a higher pitch groaning noise. It lasts about 2 seconds, and really pitches up right when it ends. The car does not make that sounds any other time (that I can hear at least). Any ideas?

Maybe anti freeze going through your high pressure radiator cap. Open the hood before you turn it off when it is hot and get someone else to shut the ignition off for you. I pull a refridgerator trailer behind my semi and the cooling system is always moaning and groaning when I turn it off. :haveabeer:

Before you shut it off. Make sure your top or bottom main hose is not colapsing. I had a plymouth do this one time.

"DISCLAIMER, ALL THIS INFO IS POSIBILITIES"

The noise you are hearing is your fuel pump running. It will run for 2 seconds after the key is turned off...it's normal, however if the noise is excessive it could be a sign of things to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Apparently I missed that the coolant resevior was empty. There was still fluid in the radiator itself, but the resevior was bone dry. I topped it off and now the noise is intermittent...but it still happens more often than not. Gotta keep digging!

Check for coolant leaks, no reason the tank should be empty. Check the oil and trans fluid to make sure you don't have it leaking into one of those. Keep us updated and post another thread on top to keep this going, not everyone goes back into the threads.