stonemiser, got a ? for ya..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh OH

Reaction score
Checked out and read your prodject on the EPC adjustment and transmission filter change... My question is this.. I want to do the adjustment, but I'm afraid I'd screw it up..

How much of a difference does it make?

How difficult is it to do the tigtening and the filter change?

Mine's an 05' 4x4 with 15,000 miles on it and I haven't done ANY work or changes to the transmision since I bought it, so I'm thinking I'm due soon for at least a flush...

Oh.. And incase anyone out there is looking for OEM parts straight from ford without dealing throught the dealerships.. (Like I do).. Here's a link JUST for you. ;)

Thanks,

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh,

You have a very nice looking truck.

The project on the tranny works very well and many of us have done it, including myself.

It shifts firmer, which means less slippage and less wear, and also allows me to do a partial tranny fluid change very easily.

It does take some mechanical skill, patience and the ability to run the truck up on ramps or jack it up high enough to make the job as easy as possible.

Actually, patience is the main ingredient, and definitely expect to get some tranny fluid on you and the garage floor, however, once the job is completed, all future maintenance will be much easier.

Every time I change my oil, I also drain the tranny pan and dump approximately 4 1/2 quarts of tranny fluid. (Don't forget to refill the tranny pan when you refill the crankcase). Lord willing and the creeks don't rise, my transmission should last as long as the ST is owned by me, which is an indefinite amount of time.

Again, this is not an easy project, but perhaps one of the most important mods you will ever do to your ST.

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

David <><

I did mine and just followed the instructions to a t and everything went really well. Great set of instructions and clear pics.;):rolleyes:

Josh, sorry for the long wait to answer. It really isn't to hard to do. I didn't even lift the ST to do it. (I'm a pretty big guy) Just take your time and expect to make alittle mess. You may get lucky and not make to much a mess but just go into it expecting to. Anyway, to do the EPC adjustment isn't really that bad to do. Just make sure not to turn to much. All you need is 1/4 turn. What I did was position the ratchet at 6-o'clock and turn to 9-0'clock. If you want to it alittle less than 1/4 turn. The difference is noticable. You will notice the shift between 2-3 is alot firmer and quick. Before i did mine it was shifting VERY lazy. By that I mean it wasn't slipping but just taking it's damn time to get into 3rd from 2nd. No problem now. The other thing I noticed is that the ST "pulls" through all the shift changes. There is no "lag" between shifts. Put the drain plug in and if you don't like the feel of it, it is an easy fix to drop the pan and put it back to the original setting or to back it off alittle.

To tighten the bolts in the pan back up I don't know the torque specs on them but I just tightened them till they were pretty tight. Also I got my filter from Ford for the same price as anywhere else and reused the gasket. It's really well made and if you take your time it will wold up for it to be reused. It's not cork so it's pretty strong stuff.;)

happy to help.

Latest posts