stinky ac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaffo oxnard

Reaction score
I have stinky ac and the evap housing was holding water then peeing it out in large puddles every once in a while.

I removed about 4 screws from the evaporator housing, enough to pry it open to flush the core and the housing with a mild bleach solution, foaming ac coil cleaner, and then a final flush with lots of water. I will have to see after sittting all day in the sun if this helped the stink.

I noticed that thre is no drain tube from the housing. There is just a hole in the bottom (just feeling around there). I was planning on shooting water up a hose, but instead had to remove screws and pry the case open. The housing is not sealed up well, I can feel alot of cold air in the engine compartment.

We shall see if this helped. If not, I have an experiment growing someplace else.

The AC evaporator core is probably located more in the engine compartment than in the

HVAC housing under the dash. And there is a small drain tube. The fact that you said that occasionally, the evap housing pees out some water indicates that your drain is working and not plugged. If it plugs it will pee that water into the vehicle...usually on the front passenger side footwell.

I don't theing the real cause of the odor is the lack of draining but is cause by parking under trees that drop small leaves, and other debris into the Vents in front of the windshield. These leaves rot and mold and cause the musty, swampy smell.

I had this same problem in several vehicle I owned during certain parts of the year when a tree (Crepe Mertle) was in bloom, dropping flowers and leaves, etc. The inside of my vehicles started to smell like a swamp anytime I used the AC. I purchased a can of Ozonium spray air freshener. It does not have any odor, but it kills other odors.

My Mercedes had the same problem the first spring/summer and the MB dealer said they had a kit that they spray into the HVAC system that would clean up that smell. I don't know what it is, but it worked.....I have also moved to a new house, the car stays in the garage, and there are no trees dropping leaves, etc and the Swampy smell has never returned and it's going on 3 years now. I don't get the smell in my other vehicles either...so I am pretty sure it was caused by the leaves and crap dropping off of some trees that foul the HVAC system.

...Rich