Still looking for VSS wire in '07( Attn: MPTonyT)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1cntrler

Reaction score
I am still trying to get this AVIC Z1 installed correctly in mt '07. All of it is hooked up except for the Speed Sensor (VSS) wire. I thought I had it yesterday (The one MPTonyT showd me in the pic) but that one turned out to not be it. I connected it and all the speed pulse would do is jump from 0-1-2 then back to 0, and this was sitting still....should read 0 always. In moving it would continue to do the same. I pulled it back out and re-did the connection thinking I did not get a good one. Still nothing but the 0-1-2-0. I posted this in another forum and got this answer on it:

the sport trac is based on the old explorer chassie and there is no gray/black wire at the back of the radio. at least for the 2005 model. no 06 wire info yet. the radio monitors the voltage on the 12volt input to the radio that is how it increases the volume. like the older chevys.

It was suggested that I go to the cruise control to pic up the wire, or at the wiper motor, but I can't find the cruise control module (throttle by wire in the V8, not familiar with that fully quite yet) and I don't really want to start tearing apart the cowl of the ST to get at the wiper motor. Tomorrow I will try to see what I can see behind/under the dash. I am about to the point to take it to an audio shop and pay them to find/hook up this one wire....

The wire color is purple/orange there is more than one in the harness so you may have to try more than one. My unit is the AVIC-Z1 works perfectly. Uploading pics now....give me a few minutes

So the one that you used is the one for the wiper motor, correct?? Where did you put your antenna for the Z1?? I had mine on the dash under the plastic tray in the center. I also had my XM antenna there, but was getting a lot of signal dropouts, so I put that one out the CHMSL lastnight onto the roof in the back. The wire lead for the GPS is not long ehough for me to do that I think. The factory location for the antenna is under the dash near the gauges I believe... Thanks a lot! I'll have to try taht one after church thsi morning.

I currently have XM/Sirius/GPS antennas all running out the third brake light. in my years of experience you get far better reception with the antennas on the outside. besides my 07 has the heated windsheild which would interfere. Yes that is the wire going to the wiper motor.

What do you use to get a good seal around the brake light. In my '01 I had a problem with water leaking in occasionally... I used some silicone sealant, but it did not always work... For my XM this time, I ran the wire out the bottom, and then looped it around the light housing, still hidden and then out the small notch that Ford was nice enough to put there for us. The GPS antenna wire is just too thick to do that with.

I found a piece of paper that the installer wrote on when he installed my Avic-Z1. He looked up the speed sensor wire, then gave someone a call.

It said:

PCM

Pass Side Firewall

50 pin plug

Pin 1

Purple/Orange

--------------------- also -----------

on Windshield Wiper Motor

Pin 4

Hope this helps.

Thanks. It helped a lot. I ended up using the one in the wiper motor wiring. It was the easiest to get to. I think I found about 30 different purple/orange wires to try on that Trac. Kaboom: I notice that your trac has two seperate wire looms running up to under the cowl: Is one of those for the heated windshield?? I put my GPS antenna right under that tray in the center of the dash and get great reception. I did use the metal plate the was supplied with the kit as well there. I had the XM and GPS on there, but moved the XM one to out the back CHMSL. Now both of them have great reception.

Thanks for all the help!

sorry bud i was gone this weekend with the ARMY (weekend Warrior) but im back now. the NAV antenna you can mount it under the tray between the LED and the radio. thats where i put the one i did. i did an 06 explorer fo my buddy and his VSS wire worked there. that how it does the speed volume. anyways im glad you got it figure out. i will be taking pics of my install probably tonight. when i mounted the XM antenna i went through the fire wall on the pass sire where the two vaccum line run through the firewall.

I may end up moving my VSS wire through the wall in that location then. Right now it goes through the fender and into the cab under the weatherstripping in the drivers door, into the side of the dash and out into the location of the head unit. Not really happy about the way I routed the wire, but 100% relieved that it is all working now. I hate it when stuff does not work properly.

yeah man, i would move that wire ASAP if for some reason it grounds out it could really be bad news. since the new fords are all CAN BUS (everything runs through computer) it could be real bad if a wire like that was to ground out.

Can someone verify that the purple/orange wire as illustrated above is also useable on an 04 Sport Trac. My GF's truck doesn't have the gray/black wire on ECM pin 58 nor 68 :-(