Still Impressed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Lynas

Reaction score
Since I live in Texas and have a second car (wife's) for rain days, I keep the undercarriage of my ST as good as showroom, maybe even better. I keep finding things underneath that keep impressing me about how well the frame is built. Before buying anything, I take cardboard and have a look underneath. I looked at Toyota (Tacoma & Tundra), Nissian, Honda Ridgeline, and the Chevy Avalance. I find that I am still good with my decision to buy the ST. Yes, Toyota and Honda have impecible reliability and outstanding engines. My wife has a Toyota Highlander. Nice but realy isn't built all that well built for a 30K plus SUV. I drove everything I looked at and when it came down to money, ride/comfort, handling, engieering, and the uniquieness of the ST, I am very glad I chose the ST. I still get impressed when rolling around on my creeper underneath my ST. A really great place to be!:D

So true Russ. I've gotten to know my ST quite well as I've been under the hood and under the belly many times, and from what I've seen in a certain Nissan, Toyota, Mitsu and Honda (in my household), there are certain qualities that Ford can certainly be proud about.

The bolts are bigger, the wheel wells are cleaner, the welds look more substantial, and other such little things. Everything just seems more substantial in build material and construction overall. There's just more "meat" in this Ford. Unfortunately, good design and ruggedness does not always equate to good reliability.

My only compliant so far (after a TSB fixed my brake problems) is the shifter. I realy wish Ford would have used metal machined parts for the shifter handle and release button.

Latest posts