Stereo project over last few days ...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Stewart

Reaction score
Didn't want to pay the several hundreds of dollars for someone to build me custom dual 8" sub enclosure & amp rack so I did it myself. Check out the project, pics were taken at dusk so I'll try and take better pics during the day this weekend and repost. I also included a modifiied version of the truck cab organizer idea from Rich Stern.

[Broken External Image]:sound deadening

[Broken External Image]:early stages of dual enclosure (my first build so be nice you pros :))

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Complete box, amp rack, and added the truck cab organizer over the subs to store small items.

Still need to change out head unit and new speakers tomorrow ...

Bought the vinyl from Wal Mart :) It's all made of 3/4" mdf ... basically the whole setup is two pieces (the sub enclosure and the back panel/amp rack). I'll do a drawing and put in my library, plus I also have the cut sheet dimensions for building the enclosure with three diff sizes of mdf (1/2, 5/8, and 3/4") if anyone is interested (used Probox sub box building software).

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good, i'm thinking of doing something similar very soon and was wondering if you could post or email the dimensions to me.

Thanks stonemiser, Blake :) I put three docs in my library under "sub enclosure project". They are for 1/2, 5/8 (.625), and 3/4" cut sheet dimensions. They're Microsoft Word docs w/pictures and cut descriptions.

Ken, the pictures are not coming up when i open the word document, i think you have to upload the pictures in them into your library as well.

Blake, pics are workin fine for me, they should be embedded in the Word document, so he has no need to upload them seperately.

Did you get the docs w/pics up Blake? If not, let me know and I'll email them to you. Overall dimensions of the box are 36" wide, 9.25" high, 7" bottom depth, and 3.5" top depth. I have two Image Dynamics ID8 D2 v.3 subs (300 watts RMS) in there and am pretty close to ideal volume so I added some polyfill to help it out. Still need to tune them but first listen is very promising.

Depending on your sub's power, you could probably go w/some of the thinner mdf. I wanted the 5/8 but couldn't get it. Also, I compare the volume rating from the software and other sub box calculators on the internet to make the final decision on mdf size to use.

No i couldn't get it to work sorry, i don't know what i'm doing wrong :wacko: if you could email them that would be great. thanks.

Sent them to your address listed in your profile. As Jef C said, the pics are embedded in the Word docs. Let me know if you're still having probs and I'll send them separately (pics and then instructions).

Looks fantastic Ken!! I really like the way your setup is turning out! Very nice job!

I got the 8" RF and amp installed in mine yesterday. Thanks again!! Sounds excellent! To be honest I'm pretty impressed with the sound that little 8" puts out!

Thanks again!

It looks pretty good, espically for a first install, but onto the contructive criticisim:

Lay the vinyl out in the sun for a few hours before installing it, it'll heat up, stretch slightly; but more importantly, it'll stretch more when installing. Also, use 3M Super 90, it holds like no one's business. Don't be afraid to use lots of staples where they won't be seen.

Ziptie your cables together with some small black zipties, they will look a lot better, and prevent them from accidentally getting pinched and/or cut.

Go to Home Depot and get some Allen button head screws, preferably in black, to hold the subs in place. These bolts take an allen wrench to tighten down and have a rounded top, not the hex head like a regular bolt.

Did you use T-nuts on the back to hold the sub in place? The T-nuts hammer into the wood from the back side, you then thread the screws that hold your subs into place into the T-nuts instead of the wood...it helps to prevent the wood from distressing, losing threads and that sort.

Overall, it looks pretty good, and I bet those ID subs pound...

You're welcome Derek and I'm glad you're pleased w/the sub and amp ... you're right that sub sounded real good. Thanks for the praise on the project too :)

Rainbow ... thanks and are you planning on putting pics of your project? I knew I wouldn't get it perfect since this was the first time I did this type of project, never watched anyone do it before just read like crazy on the internet :) It sure is satisfying at the end though ...

Tiger ... thanks a bunch for the help. I won't be able to get to it until next weekend probably but I definitely like your suggestions. Yep, the subs pound and clear too (SQ subs). I don't know how other guys go with multiple larger subs ... these IDs are fantastic, gains are low, and are more than I think I'd ever want in the cab of the ST. I don't know how I'll put the T-nuts in now w/out taking the box apart ... any other suggestions since I would like to go with a threaded application vice the screws?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts