Stereo head unit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Beals

Reaction score
It has been long enough since I have been out of college that I am no longer in touch with what car stereos are capable of doing. I have a 2004 ST with a single CD, no tape, not sure what other info would be relevant as I am not sure how this impacts what type of stereo fits in the dash compartment.

I have bought and trashed multiple adapters and really have not been happy with any of them. I want a more modern stereo unit - phone blue tooth, ipod connectivity that allows me to control the ipod with the dash buttons. Way back when, I would have looked something up in my crutchfield catalog or visited my local Circuit City...can anyone offer some assistance? I live in the middle of corn, soybeans, and cows so my best option is online, or Wal-Mart, so basically online. However, I do not know enough about such things to feel confident in purchasing something that is going to fit in the dash, fit my needs, etc.

Thank you in advance

2 Bolts above your heater knobs and you can slide the trim plate with your radio out, but have a few wire connectors to unclip before you can full pull it out. I bought another trim plate off E Bay and had to do some Dremel work to fit a 6.5 inch JVC with bluetooth and GPS into the hole. I would look at Crutchfield and maybe call them. I did the amp in the back seat thanks to the project section. Sorry no pics. Good Luck you can do it!!! :driving:

I replaced the stock head unit in my '05 with a new navigation unit with blue tooth, SD slot, usb (ipod) connector, etc. It was not a difficult job, connector adapters are available. Slight modification to the back part of the bezel is required (not visible from front when installed). Do a search in this forum for 'Double Din', select 'match all the words', 'message text', and 'all posts' settings. Lots of help.

Crutchfield is still a great source, and they provide good help about connections.

Good Luck! :banana:

I got a single DIN HU from Alpine with fold out screen. I think the product was IVA-310. Comes with blue tooth, i-pod hook up with adapter but it does control the ipod from the screen, didn't have to worry about modding the bezel. I have slight picture of what I've did in my library. All Alpine, though.

I bought a Pie adapter specifically "PA11-Ford1 that plugs into the back of your OEM stereo and I can listen to my iphone music, Pandora, and pending how its connected I can hear the phone option threw my speakers. Cost Approx $100.. Also you can used the buttons on your head unit.

Where did you find that for $100? Most places are closer to $150, sort of feel like, for that, I could just get a new head unit. How does it interface with the phone? The pics I have seen are simply of the device, a feet of cords and a smallish box. Does it leave an outlet tail hanging on the dash or is strictly bluetooth? I have not found a pic of the finished product.

Thanks for the info, I never knew such a thing existed.

Installed the JVC BT radio, 160 shipped from Crutchfield with the wire adaptors and install kit.

Cant be happier with it.

Todd Z

It sucks getting old.. I am the same way, tbeals13. I have no idea what is out there anymore. I can't hear the high frequencies anymore, so I guess is doesn't matter anyway.

The good news is that it appears great equipment is priced nearly the same as it was way back in the day. I remember getting a near high-end 8-track in-dash stereo with all the bells and whistles for just under $300 back in 1978.

Gavin,

I remember the 8-track. I had many of them. Do you remember the 4-track? Very short lived then the 8-track came out.

Eddie- We used to take apart 4-track tape cartridges and manually wind 1/4" reel to reel tape recordings made at 3 3/4 inches per second from LP's. Great memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I remember the four track! Never had one, but I recall it.

I did have a portable reel-to-reel recorder when I was a kid.

My 80-year old dad bought a home landline phone system last weekend that had 5 phones. He called me last night about setting up Bluetooth. I said "what?". Anyway, found out his landline phone system has the ability to answer and make calls on a cell phones too. How neat is that? (Or dumb?). I told Dad to relax because his 10 year old cell phone doesn't have Bluetooth. Now he is mad that he spend and extra $30 for the Bluetooth option that he cannot use, or he will have to spend money to update his 10-year old Trac phone and sign on to a much more expensive plan that includes data. He is such a tightwad. I suggested he should have just ditched the landline and got a couple of new cell phones and a regular plan, but he could not imagine not having a landline.

I found it on ebay, I have one in both my sport tracs.. Or google it. It has a cord to plug into the phone... Price Varies pending where you get it.

Look at the Kenwood models with HD Radio, Bluetooth and the front USB connector. ($150-$250 price range) Once installed it will look factory. Kenwood's have the color adjustment for the illumination so it will match with the dash lights.

There is a plastic adapter that fits in the factory hole and accepts the standard DIN radio size and the rest is a little compartment At one point Walmart sold it. Crutchfield will have it or you can get it on ebay. Also get a harness adapter.

Latest posts