Stereo harness, Need help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J p 2

Reaction score
Hey guys, New owner here. Just bought my first sport trac 2 days ago have some questions regarding the stereo wiring harness

2002 sport trac, I guess it just has the basic audio set up (not sure what to call it) since it doesn't have the sub/amp combination

I ordered a harness for it which looks like this,

c49bc36bec49637ec442da6d86d578ca.jpg

Because all the others I saw with multiple harnesses indicated they were for the amplified systems,

However I pulled the stock stereo this evening and found that there are 2 harnesses attached into the back of it (see photo below)

Can someone please assist me as to what the second smaller plug is and if the harness I purchased will be correct. Or which harness I will need?

Thank you

aa86fa0fa8e1900172e2a613f8716344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have ordered a connector for a 2nd generation Explorer radio. The smaller connector you asked about should be connector 290b in the diagram below. The one next to it (on your radio) should be 290a below.

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks guys for the help,

I was installing an aftermarket stereo, I hooked up the harness I purchased and everything seems to be working. The small harness clip is just hanging in there so I am not sure what it;s for.

Hopefully nothing important

Latest posts