Step Bar Removal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Miles

Reaction score
I checked for projects on how to remove the step bars and found projects on how to install them,but I couldn't find one on how to remove them. The winters in MA have finally destroyed my step bars and I purchased a set of Westin's to replace the OEM bars. I tried unsuccessfully to remove them this afternoon and was unsuccessful. The issue I am having is there are "clips" which are preventing me from removing the bolts which attach to the frame. I tried to remove the clips w/o any success. If someone could help me I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Ed

Hi, I also just removed mine so I could remove the rust and repaint. But, the bolts that attach the step bar to the step bar support brackets are all rusted out. Three of them wouldn't unscrew, so I had to cut them off.

I'm having problems finding replacements. I'd be interested to know if the bolts that attach the support brackets to the frame are the same as the bolts that attach the step bars to the brackets.

I found a part number for the bracket/frame bolts, but not step bar/bracket bolts.

Holeykeman,

Soaking the bolts with penetrating oil should work. Also, if you have a small LP.MAP gas torch (for soldering pipes) you can use that to heat the bolts and that thermal shock should release the rust bond.

You should be able to pry the J-nuts out buy you may destroy them and have to replace them, but they are not expensive (don't buy them from Ford...see my replay to Bo below).

Bo,

If you managed to get one bolt out in one piece, you can take it to most hardware stores and get replacement bolts. They are metric and I think they are either 6mm or 8mm in standard thread pitch. The harder part is getting the J-nuts that hold the step bar mounting brackets to the lip on lower part of the body where the holes are not threaded.

Many years ago I purchased a used set of step bars (my 2001 ST did not have step bars), but the guy did not have all the bolts and J-nuts. The odd part was that my new ST had a few J-nuts installed even though my ST never had the step bars??? Anyway, I could not find any J-Nuts locally and ended up buying a box of 25 J-Nuts on the Internet along with all new bolts. I think the whole box of 25 J-nuts was only about $6-$7 compared to some places that wanted over a dollar a piece for them?? Once you know the metric bolt size and thread pitch you can order the J-Nuts.

I had my step bars painted red to match my ST and the shop clear-coated the curved front and rear pieces with a special StoneGuard clear-coat to prevent them from chipping....It worked great.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Just get under the truck there is three spots with two bolts my yard has a hill next to the driveway and I pulled sideways on it so I could get some space to torque on the bolts. Just need a socket, I'm in Chicago and they came right off of my 2002. I don't have any bars now but there is like spacer things and they fell off rusted when i removed the bars. Don't know if these things actually helped in anyway