Steering Wheel is shaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach harrison

Reaction score
Noticing I'm getting a shake in my steering wheel even at lower speeds, 25pmh. My front tires are due to replace but I just thought its odd I'm getting it at high and low speeds. Tires and balancing probably the issue?

2001 ST 4x4

Thanks,

Z

Don't waste money looking for gremlins until after your replace your tires, have them balanced, and the front alignment checked. I suspect the old tires are probably causing the wheel shake.

...Rich

Tires are cuped. Or Tie rod ends. As vic said, get tires first and have steering parts checked.

Thanks guys. Got an appointment tomorrow. I've replaced ball joints upper and lower in the past 2 years, and the wheels seem sturdy when I try to wobble them so I'm guessing its tires too, which are due for replacement.

If you need tires anyway then get them and an alignment and see if that solves it. If it is something else they likely will find it when they are working on it aligning it anyway.

Well bad news. I did have a radial bubbling through the tire which caused the shake, 2 new tired were expected. I wasn't planning on a new Rack + Pinion system. We jacked it up and it did have a lot of play. I'll get outer tie rods for free. I'm at 178k, so it's probably expected. Here's to $1000 and driving to 250k.

My recent drama...

2010 STA V8, 133K miles, Firestone Destination ST 255/50R20 ~20K miles on them

Here goes...

last weekend I am in the city for an event, after supper accidentally go 4wheeling over a small triangular bit of curb that split the in/out of restaurant parking lot. Seemed insignifican at the time, nothing drug except my tow hitch and didn't think much of it at the time. Was very low speed exiting the parking lot.

next day, driving home I start to feel a slight shimmy at 65mph, bad at 70! figure I have just knocked the alignment out so take it by local place the next morning. They tell me alignment is perfect but tires need to be replaced (20K miles, and 50% tread with nice even wear all around) and the rear shocks are "shot" (same 20K miles and look and ride like new)..."can't reproduce the shimmy" driving it around neighborhood (I DID say it comes in at 65 and bad at 70), so they take it onto hwy, reproduce the shimmy and conclude it's "in the transmission"...hmmmm

well, idt it's the tranny, but since the alignments "perfect" I start digging...and come up with lots of people having issues with the 2 piece driveshaft. then after 3hrs of stop and go traffic on the way to work next morning i hear a distinct squeak (?u-joint?), of course it's not reproducible on the lift :angry:

i throw the STA in the air and spin the wheels (GRRRRR Traction Control) and find no discernible noise, bearings all seem ok, no Ujoints loose or noisy, but the carrier bearing has some play (idk wuts normal tho) and there is a good 1/8 to 3/16" play at the yoke coming out of tranny (that can't be normal, can it?!).

Find a reputable tranny shop on Angie's List :)love:) they go all over it and put it on the scanner. Everything seems good to them (OMG I can't believe they didn't rob me!), no codes past or present, and recommend an alignment shop up the road...

Next round...

Tires are "in great shape", rotated tires front to rear (directional tires) and performed alignment...

$50 and the STA drives like new :driving:

A little frustrating but I learned a bunch!

Latest posts