Steering wheel cover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Cover has finally worn out and has sticky stuff coming out etc. First question. Anyone remove the cover and leave it off? Second question. Assuming I want to put another cover, should I remove this old one first?

Thanks

Benny,

On my 02 ST the leather cover was doing the same thing. I went to my local Advance Auto and got a steering wheel cover in the $15 range, tan, an acceptable match to my interior color and it is a real tight fit so it does not slide around on the steering wheel.

I had looked into getting it professionally recovered but due to cost and down time (you have to remove the wheel and send it to them) it was not feasible.

I also looked into Wheelskins leather cover for about $50 on Amazon but went with the cheaper option. Been on my ST well over a year and holding up well.

Link below.

Replacement covers are sized to go over the existing cover. If the existing cover is removed, the replacement will not fit correctly.

Why not just buy a black one from an explorer and swap it over?

You can also get a newer ranger style wheel. I've noticed it swapped a few times on tracs but couldn't ever get the information my self to figure out the cruse control. Also the air bag was out regous for a newer ranger.

I had to pull the cover off to clean the black gunk out. My wife drove it once in a white outfit, got black gunk on her hands, and hasn't driven the Trac since. I cut the old cover off and bought a leather sew-on cover from Pep-Boys. I had previously put one on a GMC I had earlier, and it looked fantastic, but it took so long lacing it up on the Trac that I ran out of time. I then remembered the reason I did it on the GMC was I was sitting in the truck much of the day reviewing the construction project I was overseeing. It gave my hands something to do. So I took the new leather cover off and put on a cheap vinyl lace-on, which worked for a while. When it got ratty I replaced it with a slip-on leather cover, which is still on it. I would like to go back to the sew on cover, if I can find the time!

Latest posts