Starting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Beil

Reaction score
I have had issues with starting, chalked it up to short trips and once on longer drives it started fine.

Just so happen to be at auto parts store today to pick up wiper blades and came out and wouldn't start at all. It was cold out..

Replaced battery right there, MF'er still wouldm't start after that, had to have it jumped to start again. Click once or twice now before starting. Not sure what the problem is...

Guy from auto store did a diagnostic and results showed that battery was still be pulled with 6.3 A after truck was off and everything was off. Somethin not right.

Truck is in with dealer right now, we'll see what they say.

Regardless of what amps are being pulled even when it is off, the new battery should have started your Trac.

I believe you will find a poor connection issue and or a defective starter from the sounds of it.

Could be as simple as a bad or loose connection somewhere, starter or even possibly the fuel pump is going. All possiblilities but would need more details to make a definite answer to your problem. Check your fuel filter as well could be clogged. Again, going on what you've said these are the main things that I would check and test first. :banana:

I'd go for the poor connection issue first. As Coastiejoe said, the new battery should have started your ST. Did you clean up the battery clamps before putting them on the new battery. If you had a bad connection there, the ST might not start with the new battery, but it would start with a jump.

Thanks for the feedback. I did clean the terminal first before putting it on. I even had the guy at the shop test the new battery and it came back good.

It started yesterday but it cranked two or three times before it turned over. It is at the dealership now so we will see what they say.

My nieghbor let his trac sit for a month. He Thought needed a battery. Had a loose main + wire on the starter.

I just wanted to post that it was a loose wire on the starter that was the problem. Amazing how the dealership just wanted to replace starter and private shop actually looks at problem.

Also FYI, found a Bulletin that the wire pigtail for the starter is faulty, awesome.

Also FYI, found a Bulletin that the wire pigtail for the starter is faulty, awesome.

Can you provide details on that Bulletin? If possible, post a copy of the bulletin in your Library.

Latest posts