Starting Issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Bradshaw

Reaction score
I haven't taken my '04 to the shop yet because this issue is so sporadic, it only happens a few times a month (I drive my Sport Trac 6 days per week). Sometimes when I turn the key to start the truck it starts to crank then stops for about 1 - 2 seconds and then proceeds to start. When it stops cranking for the second or two, everything shuts down including lights and gauges. It is not a battery issue as this is a brand new battery (3 months old) (it happened with the previous battery also). This has been going on for about 6 - 8 months. It only seems to happen during the first start-up of the day. The truck just turned 80,000 miles. Could this be a starter issue? Should I take it in or just wait until it won't start. I just know when I take it to the shop, it won't happen for them. Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated?

My first guess is the steering column switch....

Second posibly the starter relay going bad. That is easier than the switch and a easy DIY to replace.

I agree with Roamer - start with a thorough check/cleaning of battery cables. Is your battery holding a charge, or is it discharging when engine is off? Check the voltage before first start of the day. Something could be causing enough of a voltage drain to give you a no-start condition.

Latest posts