Starter replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michal H

Reaction score
Got a starter that is on it's last couple of turns and needs to be replaced. Got a new one to put in there, and I have replaced starters before, but on 4x4 vehicles.

Anyone know the best way to replace the starter on a '02 4wd Trac? Looking at it, the front diff. is completely in the way, and I can't get my hands in there. And even if I could get the bolts and wires loosened, I can't see a way to remove the old unit, and slide the new one in.

Any suggestions?

Alternative is to pay $354 at the local shop.

I've been told that when the starter goes out on my 4x4 ST, bring it to the shop...any shop. I guess it's damned near impossible to get out.

I replaced mine two years ago, it was a royal PITA! I had to take off an engine support bracket if I remember correctly. It may be worth the $354 to have the shop do it.

I have a 2001 ST. Replaced the starter in my driveway, using basic tools. The bolts are a bit hidden but with some determination it can be done. I thought there was a link on this web site facilitating this. This is do-able. I'm 65 and did it, are you going to be beat by an old guy???

Latest posts