stalling

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Varley

Reaction score
Hey everyone my xmas present this year is my trac giving me issues. :banghead:

It starts up then revs idle drops real low revs again sometimes will stall. If i give it gas it revs right up but you can feel it putter every once and a while. I am getting no engine light and if anyone can help me figure it out id appreciate it. its a 02 4x4 with k&n intake.

Thanks

Tom

Happy holidays all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a look at your throttle body - it may need cleaning. Others here have mentioned cleaning the idle control valve. Change PCV valve. How many miles on this Trac? Same question for spark plugs. Sounds to me like basic tune-up time.

I suspect idle air control valve. There are instructions on cleaning it in the projects section. Cleaning will be a temp. fix. I have always had to replace mine, but they are not expensive. Buy one from rockauto.com.

+3 on the IAC valve. Also agree with Vic on throttle body cleaning found in the projects section. Cleaning the MAF sensor wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by a moderator:
its a 02 4x4 with k&n intake.

Oiled K&N filters are known for contaminating MAF sensors if not serviced correctly. Removing the sensor is not required, spray the wire filament without touching and let it dry.

I just had to replace the MAF sensor, identical symptoms as you describe. The time prior it was the elbow issue that is common on gen 1.

First; disconnect the battery, let it sit for 30 minutes, Crank it up to reset the computer according to the owner's manual. You never know. Sometimes it works. Good Luck and Merry Christmas !

How will resetting the computer fix a stalling issue? I would start by scanning for DTC's. Not having a CEL doesn't necessarily mean there aren't stored trouble codes. As mentioned above, it sounds like the OP needs to do some preventative maintenance such as cleaning the IAC, throttle body, and MAF, along with checking the PCV valve, elbow, and air filter among other things.

Latest posts