ST wont crank

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean M 2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

103,000 miles on the ST and I have my first problem. ST wont crank, when I turn the key everything powers on, and I can hear the fuel pump cycle, but the engine does not crank. I thought it might be an ignition switch? Any ideas? and if so is this something I could tackle or should a mechanic take a look? (I'm pretty good mechanically but I am no expert) As always thanks for the input!

Try tilting the column up and down while turning the ignition key to start the truck, might work or it could be the starter since you have power just no crank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just recently my Trac wouldn't start, just a click-click-click. Had power to everything including headlights and stereo. Triple AAA jumpstarted it and the Trac started. Had the 2yr, 8month old battery replaced under warranty at the dealership I bought it from. I was really worried since the battery was not even 3yrs old (and CEL had come on not long before this incident). I'm sooo glad it was just the battery.

Thanks for the replies. I don't it is the starter, because it does not even click. Battery is good, I tried jump starting and it has the exact same symptoms... Is there a switch that turns power over to the starter from the ignition? I have been cycling the ignition 3x before starting it for the last year or so, since the check valve in my fuel pump is bad and I need to pressurize the system before startup... I am thinking I may have worn out the switch?

I have been cycling the ignition 3x before starting it for the last year or so, since the check valve in my fuel pump is bad and I need to pressurize the system before startup... I am thinking I may have worn out the switch?

Very posible. I had to replace the switch in my '73 340'Cuda. Same problem. No power the starter solenoid. Try a jumper wire from the battery + to the solenoid on the starter. If it turns over you have a break down somewhere in that circuit.

I had the same problem. I put her in Nuetral and pushed her about 2 feet and slipped her into drive. I was then able to start her up. I guess I pushed her past the bad spot. I haven't had the problem since.

CopST,,,

That only worked with stick shift. Or some very old automatics, that had 2 front pumps.

If you did this with your trac. It was just a fluke.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very posible. I had to replace the switch in my '73 340'Cuda. Same problem. No power the starter solenoid. Try a jumper wire from the battery + to the solenoid on the starter. If it turns over you have a break down somewhere in that circuit.

The radio and dashboard lights all function, its is just the starter that does not engage. Could that still be the ignition switch? I don't get any clicking from the starter at all, just turn the key and nothing other than the dash warning lights etc. Thanks for the help guys!

Did you try jumping it? how about putting the battery on a charger? If you did and still nothing, have someone hold the key in the start position and tap the starter with a hammer. If it starts, then the starter is bad. If it doesn't start, check for voltage going into the starter. If there is no voltage, then the solenoid is bad. IIRC, the solenoid is part of the starter, so the starter needs replaced.

Pretty simple here.

Tom

Thanks for the help guys. I fixed it. Turns out it was the P,R,N,D,2,1 position. When I pulled the steering column shift selector up towards the roof, the truck was then able to start. Still weird though, because I tried starting it in neutral before, and it didn't work, but all is well for now. Thanks again!

There are 2 wires at the starter. The main battery cable at the starter will have 12 volts all the time, the other wire will have 12 volts when the key is held in the start position. With this information you can diagnose you starting circuit somewhat.

Your shifter cable might be worn out or just not lined up with either the linkage on transmission or column indicator. Just some suggestions since you said it worked after you moved the shifter.

Before you condemn the transmission range sensor you need to inspect the rear of the steering column where the shift cable attaches. There are 2 bolts and if one falls out or they work their way loose (which is a very common problem) this happens.

I was also going to suggest what l1tech suggested.

This is a common issue with the Trac. Many find the bolt and then post the picture of it here as they have no clue where it came from...

Latest posts