ST spark plugs

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray McIntireJr

Reaction score
Put Autolite Rapid fire spark plugs in at about 50,000 miles and getting close to 150,000 miles so looking into new plugs for it since I will probably be driving it for quite some time. Anyone have any suggestions? I know most owners here prefer Motorcraft or Autolite and I bebleive I will most likely go with Autolite, but does anyone have any experience with the platinums or the iridiums? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Why stray from OEM when they have been thoroughly tested and proven to work?

Use Motorcraft SP500 or Autolite APP103. Gap .054 and use antiseize. Another 100K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Copst- Confirm the gap with YOUR owners manual, page 331.

May be a decal above the radiator. Good luck, doesn't sound fun.

4.6 3V V8 Engine

0.0390.043 inch

(1.01.1mm)

Ford plugs come already properly gapped. With the shape of the electrode, you need a special tool to make any adjustments. Just drop 'em in and tighten. Bob

The OE plugs are already double platinum (I think).

I only got the NGK Iridiums because the parts store was out of the correct Motorcraft plugs and I didn't feel like running all over the county looking for them or paying dealer price. MPG didn't get any worse. My take is that plugs by themselves don't make much difference other than what you gain from replacing the worn ones. Also know that multiple electrode plugs, i.e. Bosch +2 and +4 that the people at Auto Zone will try to force on you, do not get along well with the Ford ignition system and will foul out within 12,000 miles.

Interesting mixed replies from Gen 1 & 2 owners.

Very different plug design and product selection.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Thanks for clarifying Johnny. The "conventional" plug design on the left is for the 4.0 SOHC V6.