ST rollover

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Edwards

Reaction score
QEW rollover

QEW rollover. Andrew Collins Special to Burlington Post

A 32-year-old Hamilton man was fortunate to avoid serious injury in a single-vehicle accident on the QEW in Burlington on Monday morning.

The Ontario Provincial Police Burlington detachment responded to a vehicle on its roof in the southbound lanes of the QEW, south of Fairview Street, around 8:15 a.m.

Police say the driver, the lone occupant of the 2004 Ford Explorer, was in the fast lane when he tried to avoid hitting a shelving unit lying on the road. In swerving to miss the debris his vehicle flipped and skidded on its roof for a short distance.

No other vehicles were hit and the Hamilton man, who was wearing a seatbelt, only suffered a bump on his head.

Two lanes of the QEW were shut down for almost an hour.

[Broken External Image]:

Ouch. Sad to see.

I tried one, barely evasive maneuver in the Sport Trac. I decided then and there that I would either run over something or run into it before I tried that again.

Dated article makes you wonder what if?

Steve, I was thinking the same thing.

I would hope our members would at least get some good shocks. I have one long curve coming off the freeway to my nieghborhood posted 45mph. most are doing 50mph. The first time I went thru it. I was doing 40mph. All I could say is "WHOA sh**". So at 1500 miles(few days before I found this site), I put rancho rsx shocks on. Tried the curve again. The difference was amazing. Becausee of this site I changed the rear sway bar. More amazing. As my trac has aged and suspension settled. I have debated on the front sway bar upgrade.

Folks if you havent yet. For safeties sake get some good shocks on your '01 to '05. You will be amazed and glad you did.

Jeez! makes me want new shocks real bad! I have edlebrock shocks on the front, they were there when i got the ST. Those stock or not?

My first thought was the same thing as you guys': did this vehicle have upgraded shocks?

I remember how horrendous the stock shocks were, those things are just a place-holder until you can get a real product in their place, like those stock photos that come in picture frames.

(And the only people who keep those photos in the frames are either crazy or desperate... :grin:)

Shocks, rear sway bar, front swaybar endlinks. The big 3 essential ST handling upgrades.

(Front sway bar total upgrade is better than just the endlinks, but the improvement/hassle ratio is nowhere near as good. I wouldn't go back though. I haven't done the rear endlink upgrade yet, I need to as mine have been on there since 2002/2001 AFAIK & they are the crappier "mark 1" Ford endlinks. I also think they're a big part of the squeaking I sometimes get from the rear on bumps.)

I realize you are all talking about the Gen1 suspension, but are there any "important' upgrades to Gen2? I think my 2010 handles wonderfully, but I am interested in what the members of this site think.

I have an 03 XLT sport trac with 92,600 miles and still has the original factory shocks on it. What what would anyone recommend I get to replace them? I have seem from a previous thread that Sears is having a good sale untill the end of the month.

Suggestions:

Monroe "Sensa Trac" for normal driving.

Monroe " Reflex" for added handling, but a firmer ride. (I installed these)

Rancho "RS5000" are similar to the Reflex, but I think are a bit better response rate and more adept at off road use.

Just my .02

I agree with Dave..if you go monroe or rancho. They are both made by tenneco.

I have the rancho rsx, same as the monroe reflex. If I ever have to replace. I will warranty them for rs5000. That is the rsx replacment.

I like the firmness and control. Im a spirited driver. If you are like me. You wont be happy with sensa-tracs.

I bought some Reflex front from Rock auto for 19.00 each. but I am still looking for rear... NCrancho used Monroe Max-air. Has anyone else tried those for the rear? I am going to lower my truck by 2" also.

Brian B

Latest posts