ST for teenagers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Focuses can be quick, and "everything goes fast downhill"... ;)

A lambo would probably break or get stolen so fast that it wouldn't be drivable for long, whereas the focus will last eons, so I think that their "opportunity to be 'out of control' in a Lamborghini" is much lower than that opportunity with a ford focus ;)

(note: since text doesn't convey inflection at all, this is a facetious post)

i agree with the training and experiemce as being very important in any vehicle.

yes, when i was 16 and took my road test on my first car. a 1973 corvette and after i rec'd my license, i drove it like a thief. i am surprised i am still alive after i totaled my 1975 vette racing in the street.

also at that age there is the no fear factor that contributes to the problem.

training and understanding are crucial.

if you get the teenager a toyota corolla or a high perf sports car, there is a very good chance they will be in an accident with the sports car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not about what you drive, its how you drive it. Im 16 and have my learners permit until December. The ST is my first vehicle i ever owned. After saving for years, i payed as much as i could and my dad helped me pay the rest. But im still going to pay him back.

Anyways, in my case, i payed for it, so i really care for it and respect it. Thus i drive safely, since i dont want anything bad to happen to me or the ST. I really think ST is a great vehicle for a teen if they are responsible and practice driving. It especially helps if the teen pays for the car.

But as it goes for small car vs suv/truck, the small cars are more prone to racing and higher speeds, thus resulting in more danger and severe crashes.

if you get the teenager a toyota corolla or a high perf sports car, there is a very good chance they will be in an accident with the sports car.

That is because no kid wants to be seen driving a Corolla. It would always stay in the driveway.

Tom

I agree with the paying for, or in my case working for the family business to work off the truck, I put in plenty of over time to pay that truck off. I respect the truck and try to keep it clean, I know that if I break it A) I don't have a ride and B) they're not cheap to fix.

my 19yo daughter has driven mine for about 3 years. Other than the blind spot in the rear (she is short, tail gate is high), sh has no issues. She compensates by adjusting the mirrors.

Other than the gas mileage, it's a great vehicle. SHe normally drives a 93 Mustand 2.3l, but now she has ner mom's focus. Once I return to work, I am going to drive the focus and let her drive the ST full time, since she only goes about 60 miles a week to school and work and I will be going 54 a day.

If crap happens (god forbide) I would rather have my youngest get into an accident driving my trac, than her little mitsubishi eclipse spyder.

My first car at 16 was a mustang. I learned on my mom's then got my own. (Psst, I'm not that old. lol)

I would have been better off with a truck, especially when I put my mustang in a cornfield one time - but that's another story. :rolleyes:

My daughter loves to drive my St. She says she feels safe in it and likes the sitting higher view while driving it. However, I'd put her in a front wheel or awd vehicle to be able to handle driving in the ice and snow since she is not experienced in driving in that type of weather. Since she is currently in AZ she drives her camaro.

My son, at 15 learned to drive in my Delta 88, when he turned 16, figuered it was a good first car and safer. He never had a problem driving in the snow in Colorado.

He drives a Taurus now.

Fortunately both of the kids are pretty good drivers (so far) :)

Latest posts