Squeeky Belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kody Budinger

Reaction score
I've had a squeeky belt now for the past few weeks but I've just ignored it. I notice it squeekes more when I accelerate...anyone else have this problem before?

Have you ever looked at your serp belt? Pretty easy fix if yours is in poor shape - $15 part, 10 minutes of your time. You'll need a 3/8" drive ratchet or breaker bar. Lots of DIY videos on YouTube.

Recommended replacement is 150K which most agree is too long. Remove the belt using a cheater pipe on the 3/8" ratchet and physically check ALL pulleys for binding.

You can also run the engine for LESS than one minute without the belt and listen for noises. Many have used the 1/2" shorter belt with great success. Do NOT use belt dressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommended replacement is 150K
Seriously? Wow I had no idea. For a rubber part so vital to everything regarding the engine I would never let it go 150k before I replaced it. If that's true then it would likely even outlast all the bearings in the idler and tensioner pullies! I'd go no further than about 50k on them and replace them. Cheap, easy, and for peace of mind.

Seriously A1. But then again, we've heard of "lifetime" lubricants for "normal" condition driving. Check your maintenance schedule linked below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, too much emphasis on mileage. Remove the belt and inspect EVERYTHING, then report back. :supercool:

Maybe only 92K miles, but if that's the original belt it's ten years old. You're also in a high heat (AZ) area - that puts more stress on parts like belts, hoses, battery, fluids, the whole nine yards. IMO you should have replaced the serp belt already. Want your Trac to last? You've got to either look at things or have them looked at.

If you find you need a new tensioner. I would get the gates'. flat wound spring vs spiral wound. Stronger and moew stable.

For the belt get the dayco poly-cog, .5" shorter.