Squeeky Belt and Pulleys

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My belt/pulleys have been squeeking and squeeling pretty bad. It started as an intermittent problem, but now the squeeling continues all the time. I used some WD40 to lube the pulleys, but the problem continues. Any suggestions? If I have to replace the belt and pulleys how difficult is the job and does anyone have a step by step on how to do it!? Thanks for any advice!!!

What year is your trac and how many miles? I had a similar issue. But the best procedure is to remove the belt and spin each pulley to see which is causing the noise. Depending on age the belt replace that while its off. Many times the idler pulley is the cause, which is the top pulley.

Most likly the idler pully. Wd40 wont help. All the pully bearings are sealed.

Ditto on AL's advice.

Also when you replace the belt go back with a Dayco poly-cog #5060860. It is .5" shorter. It will bite better. Especialy the power steering pully.

It is an easy DIY. If you have a Harbor frieght near. Get their serpentine belt tool($8to$12). You can get more leverage with it. Than a 3/8' ratchet. Also it is thinner. Get in between the fan and accessory drives easier. The tool comes with enough adaptors to use on any car, past or future. Wish I had the tool for the first belt,I changed. The tensonor pully is very strong.

Also check your harmonic balancer. I had the same issues as yourself, and tried everything to solve the problem. After a little time had passed, it showed its ugly head by falling apart.

I had the same issue on my 2008 Adrenalin V6 and finally the dealer found a service bulletin for the issue. They replaced the pulleys under warranty. Apparently, this is common on the V6 more than the V8.