Squeaking Belt question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John D 3

Reaction score
Hi.

I searched...found one message on squeaking belts...so here's my question, if someone can help.

I bought my ST used a few months back. When I bought it the belt was squeaking. It eventually quit...the dealership i bought from said it was the detailing stuff they use on the engine...made sense to me...

Now its cooler outside, and its squealing again. I've found that it stops when my RPM's get above 2500.

The belt looks fairly clean/new. But I have no idea, since I just bought it.

Should I just change it? Or could it be something else?

I'm bringing to a mechanic fairly soon for brakes (warped rotors), so I can have him check it out, but thought I'd get opinions.

Oh yeah, its an '02 with 82k on it.

Thanks in advance!

John D

I would change it, that way you'll know how old it is. Chances are the detailing solution that was used has soaked the pulley side surface of the belt which is probably causing it to slip and squeal.

Another possibility is the bearing in the idler pulley, the pulley cost about $10-$15 and would be a easy part to change when doing the belt.

I would bet it is a pulley and not the actual belt itself...

I have used belts for that reason, change it, noise still there, then it is not the belt..

Todd Z

Ok, "easy" to change is relative. I get all proud of myself when I change my own oil.

:lol:

Where would I get a idler pulley and belt and belt tool? And can someone with limited experience do it? Would I just get at the dealer? I don't mind just replacing both items myself and being done with it...

:rolleyes:

I know...stupid, eh?

thanks,

John

john, on the ST you only need a 3/8 ratchet as the belt tool...

Remove the intake tube, Note the way the belt is routed.....

There is a sticker on the radiator support to help you...

I believe there are site members in the area by you that could help you out...

Todd Z

Jeff and Todd are correct, I would try changing the belt out first and if the problem persists then change the idler pulley. My reccomendation would be to purchase both before you get started, if you end up only needing the belt you can always return the pulley for a refund. The idea is to have everything you need on hand just in case, especially since we are not talking a lot of $$$ for the parts(pulley).

try using either a motorcraft brand or dayco brand belt...... Fords use the unique pattern/cross section, and the pullies are designed to use it. any other belt, (i.e NAPA, Gates) is different, and will squeal.

the dayco design has rounded teeth, while the gates design has a squared off, trapezoidal shape.

I went through this on my Aerostar, as the gate version would last <5000 miles, while the Dayco/Motorcraft would last 30,000 miles...

HTH

You can get the idler pully at most autoparts. I have always replaced the serpentine belts on my fords with gates. Done this since the '80s. Never had a problem with gates.

Cool, thanks.

I'll stop by autoparts store and get a belt and pulley...and...hope...I...don't...screw...it...up!

I'm not a mechanical idiot, just never worked on cars that much.

Honest.

:D

Latest posts