Sprung a leak!!! - Part 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score

Alright, so the leak is back very slowly this time... 1 drop per 2 days...

As I was reorganinzing my shelf in my garage placing some jugs of 4.4 litres of Synthetic oil to my stock (picked them up at a great price), I noticed that my previous oil jugs were 5.0 litres and usually what I'd do for a oil change is add the 4.4 litre jug and a litre jug and completely oblvious to the 5 Litre jug as I never looked at it before until I placed the 4.4 litre jug beside it and noticed there were different sizes...:wacko:

So my question here, adding 6 litres of oil cause oil to spurt out due to excessive amount of oil especially from the PCV Valve? My initial ts'ing showed the PCV Valve caused the leak, I haven't checked it since but this may explain my leak if oil level is too high and seaping out...

Anyone else make the same mistake and noticed a leak?

Shouldn't make a difference especially that high up in the motor, the same amount of oil gets to the top half of the engine regardless of how much oil is in the oil pan...unless the oil level is extremely low. If the oil level was high enough the only place it could possibly leak is at the oil pan but before that would happen the crankshaft would aerate the oil from it passing through the oil in the pan and cause oil pressure problems. The little bit of oil that you overfilled your engine is not doing any harm and didn't cause your leak.

Thanks for the explanation...

Next oil change I will change the Oil Pan gasket and if it still leaks it'll mean the Rear Main Seal...

Thanks again.

My Ranger started with just a few drops a day, but got worse as time went by. Since I didn't want a puddle in the center of my garage, I just put a paint pan under the truck to catch the oil. My oil pan was bone dry around the seal, so I knew it was the main rear seal since it was coming down from the bell housing of the tranny.

I agree with Bill, if it's not that bad why spend the money for what it would cost to change out the seal.

Thanks guys.

It sounds like the problem, I ran a bead of gasket sealent around the oil pan hoping to stop it, but it still occurs... I wont fix the Rear Main Seal as it'll be too pricey... May just do a thick bead of gasket sealent around the bottom half where the rear main seal is to slow it down or hopefully eliminate...

Latest posts