Sport Trac SUV or Truck ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lukus

Reaction score
Ford lists the Sport Trac as a SUV . My insurance company lists it as a truck. My licence plate and registration also say it is a truck.!! What do others think ??

Oklahoma DMV and USAA call it a UT - Utility Truck

NHTSA, My daughter, and the 3 year old down the street call it a Pickup

As far as I know, Ford is the only entity that calls it an SUV, and they seem to only do it to boost the sales numbers of Explorers.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Washington state I was issued passenger car plates initially. Then about two months later I received truck plates and a letter stating to destroy the car plates .... no other explanation :wacko:

In Texas, it can be either a car or truck. I didn't know that there would be any difference, my dealer turned the paperwork in to register it as a car. Now, I find out that the yearly registration fee is more for a car than a truck. But, if I was to change it, I would have to pay a fee so I might as well just leave it like it is.

My '02 was registered as an SUV (Multipurpose) in MD, when I got my '07 it was registered as a truck. Guess they jumped the fence. It was cheaper.

Sport Luxury Utility Truck LOL - I love my S.L.U.T.!!!

Latest posts