Sport Trac Slide-in Camper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Ellis

Reaction score
Just want to check to see if there is any interest in plans for a slide-in camper designed to fit the 2001-2005 Sport Tracs. I haven't built this yet but plan to do a mockup in the next few weeks. Have done weight and balance on the design shown. About 900 Lbs loaded weight that includes battery, water and porta-potty. CG about 1 in forward of rear axle. Queen size bed and 5-1/2 foot floor length in cabin. 78 - 80 inch ceiling height. What do you guys think? Design is built from standard wood sizes. No aluminum sheet.

[Broken External Image]:

I was thinking of this a couple of weeks ago when I was RV camping near Hollister. I think it's a pretty cool idea.

Could you (or anyone else for that matter) photochop a cab-over camper (like a Lance, Articfox, etc.) and put it on a Gen1 & Gen2 Trac? I'm no good at that stuff.

Could use it as "the doghouse" if/when I mess up with the boss!

Right now, no one makes one that fits the Gen1 or Gen2 Tracs and I was not able to find any plans. Design would use panels made of 5.2mm Luan plywood, both sides, 1x [3/4"] board framing and 3/4" foam insulation; all glued and screwed. These panels would be quite stiff and weigh about 1.7 Lbs/sq.ft. Bed panel would be thicker. Probably around $1,000 for basic shell [no counter, cabinets, cusions, windows, etc].

Bill-E

I hope you do it too.

For me and my wife (neither of us small folks) I would worry about the construction of the sleeper portion. I just don't see how to make it strong enough to support the weight and still keep it light.

If going for cramped quarters, I'm partial to the teardrop trailer, which you can find plans for making all over the Interweb. Linked is one reseller below:

Oops. Anyway . . .

. . . . that's cool, TJR. See it costs about $14k. How's that compare to a pop-up camper? We tent now and the wife prefers a higher ceiling than it appears that type offers.

I too have given thought to the bed section and strength issues. It would be of a sturdier construction than the side panels. Actually, more weight up front helps keep the CG where it needs to be. Guess I'll just have to make some test panels to check it out. Of course, this camper would only be for two people. Just not enough room for anyone else but a child under 4 ft tall. No heater, no A/C either. No TV. Just a place to eat, sleep and change clothes. Limited kitchen for simple cooking on a camp stove. Pretty much like a tent on wheels.

You could do like some of the larger ones with a tag axle. I saw one that was 4 or 5 foot past the bed. It had a tag axle under it to carry the extra weight.

www.motel6.com

We'll leave a light on for ya!

or a Holiday Express in case you need to perform brain surgery the next day.

I hurt just thinking about sleeping in a tent and/or camper.

Adam,

Not enough room. I need a mid engine version so I can stick my golf cart in the back.

Tom

Bill E very cool idea! hope it works out perfectly. Get that design patend right away man!

Adam,

that would be my dream come true Such comfort! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough room. I need a mid engine version so I can stick my golf cart in the back.

Caymen, that is what the trailer hitch on the rear is for, so you can attach one of these....[Broken External Image]:

What's a few more thousand when you already bought the bus? :)

Yea, but there where do you put the Hummer you have in tow?

They actually make mid engine busses with an actual garage like structure in the back for motorcycles and golf carts. Then you tow your car. I seen one in the Keys that was Mid-Engine, with a hummer behind with a boat behind the Hummer.

All being towed by the bus.

Tom