SPORT TRAC REPLACEMENT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Faulder

Reaction score
My Trac is a 2007 w/ 60,000 + miles. I am going to make it last as long as possible.

If I would need a replacement the Nissian Frontier might fill the bill ? I have seen two the past month that looked good. Don't know anything else about them ?

Hopefully Ford will see the need and give us a mid size truck without too long a wait ? I love F-150's and know they can be had for good price and MPG is respectful. However my life style, personal preference, garage space, etc. means a mid size is best for me.

I will keep hoping !

Bill

Yeah, when I bought my '07 ST, the dealer kept pushing what a great value the F-150 was compared to the Sport Trac BUT I didn't want that big of a truck and the ST was my choice. I could have had a bigger, roomier truck for less if I'd bought the 150. I think FORD effed up not giving the Sport Trac a better billing. You NEVER sad an add for one. Even though I was basically a GM person the ST was what I had always wanted.

I am facing the same dilemma. I would rather buy a Ford but Ford doesn't seem to want our business. I will hang onto my 07 ST as long as I can in hopes that Ford comes to their senses. It has been a great all-around vehicle and has been able to do just about everything I need. Could it use a little longer bed? Sure, but then it wouldn't fit in my one car attached garage as well as it does. An F-150 just plain won't fit. I really wish they would change their minds and bring the new T6 world Ranger here but offer it with drivetrains better suited to the US market. The T6 Ranger Wildtrak looks very similar to the last gen Sport Trac but it does come with a longer bed. I guess they must have done a better job of utilizing space because that truck is also a true four door but has a similar wheelbase and overall length to the 07-10 ST.

Just watched a bunch of vid's on YouTube on the Ranger Wildcat. Pretty cool truck. Obviously the ST laid the ground work for its design. The bed cover is really cool, I wish ours did that.

I hope ford is watching this site still and see's the comments. I would buy that Ranger when my ST gets old!

That Wildtrak has some design features that bother me, like the avalanche "roll bar" behind the cab. But I would drive it...

The Wildcat looks awesome to me.

I know it would be hard to decide if a model will sell well enough to justify offering it.

That being said the Sport -Trac did quite well with very little promotion or attention from Ford. Kind of had to be sought out by we buyers.

Sport-Trac and Ranger got caught in that "perfect storm" in my opinion. A Ranger Super Crew was not offered as Ford knew it would hurt the Sports-Trac. Sport-Trac probably wasn't given enough attention and promotion by Ford as they knew the Explorer platform was going away and probably would not make sense to try to continue the Sport-Trac.

I was Parts Manager at local Ford Dealership for 31 years and drove many Rangers starting with std cab, short bed, 4 cyl, std shift. I even used them as Parts Delivery Trucks. The Rangers were a welcome improvement for Delivery over the Ford Couriers that I was using.For my personal Ranger I jumped on the Super Cab as soon it was offered. The optional door for the Super Cab was even better. I knew that when the "Super-Crew" eventually came I would own one. I settled for the Sport-Trac when I was tired of waiting. The shorter bed was a disappointment but I have adjusted and quite happy with my Trac. So all these years of enjoying Ranger appears to be gone if I can't replace it with another Ford.

Bill

I went from a 2002 Ranger FX4 to the 07 ST. I was reasonably happy with the Ranger (it was my third Ranger) but when Ford refused to update it I could not see any reason to buy a new 1993 truck in 2007. It amazes me that they still sell so many 1993 Rangers in 2011. :banghead:

One of the things that really irks me is that Ford has no problem selling 500 different iterations of SUVs and CUVs, several of which still don't sell as well as the 1993 Ranger, but they have decided that they will only sell one size truck: HUGE. Totally ridiculous. :smack:

Bill, before I bought my ST, I looked at the Frontier and liked it till I sat in the back seats. No room, and a straight back. I passed for the St and have not regretted it one time. My family likes it also! If they're happy, I'm happy!! John

I am really sad that Ford decided to kill the great design of the :love:Ranger:love: and :love:Sport-Trac:love:. My aunt and my mother both own Ford Rangers,but the Ranger Wildtrack, to me, seems to be Ford's way of wanting to bring the Sport-Trac back without people really recognizing them. Rangers have been, IMO, Ford's best biggest little work truck they had ever had, and the Sport-Trac (Granted I haven't had mine long) is the best of multiple worlds that Ford has offered. I have also noticed that since Ford released more and more info on the Wildtrack, Chevy had released more information about their Nova Chevy S-10. :angry: Seems like GM and Dodge has seen Ford is feeling their bread and butter F-150 is the best, they are looking to try and pick up the pieces of the Ranger and Sport-Trac and try to make them their own.:toilet:

:cry:I really hope Ford sees their mistake of killing 2 of their best sellers and bring them back with a bigger bang than when they first appeared.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's part of the problem, the Ranger and Sport Trac were no longer two of their best sellers. But that is what happens when you don't update the designs or advertise them. I would never want to accuse them of doing that because they wanted to only sell F-series trucks at higher profits but it does look a little suspicious.

They went down that same path with passenger cars several years ago and they are just now getting back into that market. Ford seems destined to repeat the same mistake with the small/midsize truck market at a time when lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles are in demand and required to meet ever higher CAFE fuel mileage standards.

Others have said that Ford North America opted out of the T6 world Ranger program during the development stages and because of that the T6 does not meet US rollover standards. Can't prove that one.

All of the corporate statements from Ford's Derrick Kuzak, who is responsible for global product development, sound to me like so much BS and an attempt to cover up the fact that they made a bad business decision. He has stated that Ford offers several other vehicles that meet the needs of former small/midsize truck buyers. He listed, among others, the Fiesta, Transit Connect and V6 F-150. He has also stated that the T6 Ranger is 90% the size of the F-150 and will never be sold in the US or Canada but will be sold in 180 other countries. Nice.

Ford seems destined to repeat the same mistake with the small/midsize truck market at a time when lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles are in demand and required to meet ever higher CAFE fuel mileage standards.

Not necessarily. The small/midsize truck market emerged at a time when those types of vehicles actually achieved better MPG than their full-size counterparts. With these new V6 engines, and also the Coyote 5.0L V8, the F150 is achieving better MPG than both the Ranger and Sport Trac. So long as the F150 is the best selling vehicle (car or truck) in the US, Ford will stick with this strategy.

The only thing that made the Sport Trac cost-effective to build in the first place is the fact that it was built the same platform and shared many parts with the Explorer/Mountaineer, at a time when the Explorer was Ford's second-best seller behind the F150. Once everything hit the fan with the whole rollover/Firestone debacle, that pretty much sealed the Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac's fate. That, and gas prices rising; because as we all know, MPG in the Explorer (prior to 2011) family of vehicles sucks.

I disagree TT. If Ford were to offer the T6 Ranger with similar drivetrains as the new Explorer which include the 3.5L TiVCT V-6 and the soon to be introduced 2.0L EcoBoost I-4 that vehicle should be able to achieve significantly better mileage than any F-150. Heck, they could even sell it here with the in-line diesels they already have it. They could even call it a Sport Trac! Just give us more choices than the big and wonderful F-150. Not having updated drivetrains is one of the biggest reasons the old small/midsize sales suffered.

Latest posts